Chapter 16

Jess

The diner is swamped with people when I arrive. Teenagers I recognize from school and a few adults mainly occupy all the booths except one.

I spot Landon nestled in the corner, at a table full of people.

He's the center of attention and everyone around him are in awe of the story he seems to be telling. Their loud laughter fills the space and I start to worry that he has forgotten about our date.

I walk the length of the diner awkwardly until finally someone notices me from their table. He nudges Landon and all their eyes fall to me.

My face and outfit fall under their scrutiny, and I can't help but tremble from their unwanted attention.

Landon jumps up from his seat casually and strides up to me with his head held high.

"Jess! My girl, how's it going?" he seems unfazed by my appearance, but his arm snakes around my waist which makes me tense up in surprise. I wrap my arms around my front in discomfort.

I feel like he's putting on a show, but I don't try and stop him.

"Hi," my voice is weak as he leads me over to the empty booth. We order and make small talk but I feel people's studying gazes on me, like they are burning holes in the side of my face.

I sneak a peek in their direction, mainly the girls are looking at me.

Virginia and Aubree of course, are whispering to each other, no doubt about me. They are never subtle anymore.

Lilly, Tara and Grace have sneakily moved their seats ever so slightly closer to us.

I notice Sienna Torres is at the edge of the group trying to shush them. She shoots me an apologetic smile and I mouth a grateful thank you.

Sienna has always been nice to everyone, and I always wished I was her friend. She's the girl I wish I was.

The guys are boisterous and trying to get the girls' attention, the noises around are distracting. Landon's voice breaks me from my thoughts.

"You sure you're going to eat all that food you ordered?" he questions, his voice laced with shock.

"I only ordered a double bacon burger, fries and a milkshake," I say in confusion.

I thought he was joking at first, but his face shows hints of disgust.

"Normally the girls only get the nacho plate or something," he shrugs.

I'm not sure how to respond to his comment about the food I ordered so I just mutter an awkward 'oh'.

More time passes and the conversation is stiff, as Landon only talks about himself. He boasts about football, and his massive house and the car he's supposedly getting soon.

I like having genuine conversations people, I don't care about these superficial things I realize. If this is all he can talk about, I'm not sure this is for me.

I engage in the conversation but I'm startled when he moves closer and wraps his arm around my waist again.

He runs his hand up and down, rubbing my thigh, and I don't know how to tell him that I'm uncomfortable.

"I wish you showed more skin," he whispers in my ear, sending nervous shivers up my spine.

Every syllable he pronounces is defined and his voice scratches at my skin. He looks at me like I should obey him and strip right now.

"I like this outfit," I say timidly.

Landon's sardonic laugh makes me bristle, before he tells me he likes it too. His laugh is the kind of laugh that has no good intentions.