Chapter 20

Jess

"Kitten stop goggling at the door, he'll show up soon," grandpa makes fun of me. My mind is swimming with other things.

Mac kissed me and it wasn't to impress someone else. He kissed me and I enjoyed it, maybe a little to much. I wanted him to never stop and to explore me even more.

I stop my fantasizing right in its tracks. Get a fucking grip Jess!

I can't stop thinking about Mac and how much I enjoy his company. And yes now I'm filled with this buzzing energy when it comes to awaiting his arrival.

I stop my fantasizing right in its tracks. Get a fucking grip Jess!

"Shush," I hiss at him and continue finishing up the project.

What happens when we won't be obliged to see each other outside school?

Grandpa chuckles at me and returns to watching he tv positioned in front of us.

A couple of minutes later Mac strides through the door, carrying an extra chair for himself.

"Sorry I'm late, apparently Mr Reynolds thought it was vital he have this chair for his hat to sit on," he plops his chair dramatically next to mine and ruffles his hair.

I giggle at his antics, he pretends to act breathless as he stretches out in the chair..

"I had to get my mom to save me. My mom, Jess!" he exclaims, and that's when I lose it, laughing completely carefree. It brings me great satisfaction that not even Mac could charm Mr reynolds.

We catch up about the day while he takes out a pen.

One pen. That's all he ever brings while I have my folders, notebooks and an array of highlighters and pens.

"Come on, get on with your project you too," grandpa chides.

Mac's cheeky gin falls from his face and suddenly hes all prim and focused.

"Yes sir," he says. I roll my eyes at him being the good boy for once.

As we work, grandpa starts telling us a story about grandma. I listen fondly taking my free moments away from my writing to look at grandpas ecstatic face.

He always looks so happy to talk about her. His eyes wrinkle even more when recounting their youth together, their plans to grow old together.

These past few years have gotten harder and harder for him, but I'm happy to be here at his beck and call.

I proof read our last sentence and all looks good. No spelling or grammar mistakes, well articulated and researched points. This chemistry project write up is finally done with a couple weeks to spare.

All that's left to do is to type it up and put it on a poster, maybe add a bit of 'Jess flare'.

"All the writing is finished," I sigh relieved. Mac scans the last of the pages I hand him.

"This is pretty good Lenard. I have to say we make a good team," he holds up his hand for a comradely high-five.

"Don't skimp on the presentation now," grandpa warns. We both want the good grade so we won't.

I was hoping Mac takes more of the speaking role.  Grandpa looks at me and reads my face perfectly.

"Orally presenting will be great practice for your competition next month," he says sternly, but fondness lingers beneath the surface.

I'm still preparing all my elements for my entry. I have less than a month to polish off the end of my book extract, and finding the inspiration for my poetry piece has been tough.