Blindly Taking Chances

Duncan glanced his way towards Troy who was brushing the floor while he mopped in the cafeteria. They almost got suspended over his little fire breath yesterday and got called towards the principal's office today. He managed to slip away due to Blitz using (Y/n)'s idea for an excuse as an example which was believable enough to convince the Principle that it was just a prank.

They were both at faults so, he gave them a choice to either get suspended or work together to clean up their mess. Of course, both Duncan and Troy chose to clean up together despite not getting along with each other. None of them wanted suspension and got into a bigger trouble for it.

Duncan took a deep breath and stopped mopping as he approached Troy who looked up at him with a scowl. "Look, Troy, umm...I'm truly ashamed of my thoughtless, dangerous and immature prank. I'm sorry," Duncan said, he offered his hand towards Troy who narrowed his eyes as he got up. He glared at Duncan with hatred in his eyes, "Are you kidding me?" he said as he slammed the brush he was holding into Duncan's offered hand.

"I know what I saw. You're some kind of a freak. Just stay away from me and from (Y/n) for all I care!" Troy said, snatching the mop from Duncan's hand as he walked away, keeping himself as far as away from Duncan who frowned, looking at the brush in his hand.

"Could've told you how that one would go," he heard a familiar voice said and turned around to see Isabel sitting behind him which he figured she's been there for a while.
"So, you coming to the big party on Berkshire Lane Saturday?" she asked, watching him head over to the table she was leaning on.

"I wasn't invited to any party," Duncan said as he got down and started scrubbing under the table with his brush. Isabel shrugged her shoulders lightly as she got onto the table, "Nobody was. It's a 'someone's parents are out of town' party where everybody just shows up," she said, watching him clean under the table.

"Uh, yeah. I-It's not really my kind of scene. I-I'm not totally comfortable," Duncan said and Isabel's eyes widened as she laid down on the table and hung her head upside down to look at him.

 I-I'm not totally comfortable," Duncan said and Isabel's eyes widened as she laid down on the table and hung her head upside down to look at him

"Oh, come on. You just tried to shake hands with Troy Adams. This is like ten times easier than that!" Isabel said, motioning her head towards Troy who was mopping the floor, a few feet away from them.

As Duncan listened while Isabel talked, his eyes moved towards the opened glass doors where he could see (Y/n) and Jenna talking in the campus. A smile formed up on Duncan's face without him realizing it as he watched (Y/n) smiled happily while she sat and read a book with her eyes sparkling like a little kid seeing a doll she really wants while Jenna hummed as she braided her long (h/c) hair from behind.

"Oh my god! Jenna, I can't believe you got this book! Can I borrow it? Please? Please..." (Y/n) said as she turned her head towards Jenna who chuckled.
"Haha. Sure. Just let me braid your hair and it's all yours! Consider it as a thank you for always looking out for me," she said and (Y/n) cheered happily as she let Jenna braid her hair while she continued to read the book in her hands.

Duncan smiled as he watched her talked happily. He couldn't help, but chuckled to himself as he continued to clean under the table, not noticing that Isabel has been watching him the whole time while he watched (Y/n).

The girl smiled slyly, looking between her best friend and Duncan. There was obviously some chemistry going on between the two of them and almost everyone could see it. Everyone but them.

"About that party...Everyone's going, seriously. Everyone," Isabel said, smiling slyly as she looked at Duncan who smiled when (Y/n)'s eyes met with his and she waved at him warmly as always. He smiled and waved back at her, but flinched when he saw Isabel smirking at him knowingly. He looked away and continued to clean the floor. "Uhh...Maybe I'll stop by," he said with a smile and Isabel chuckled as she sat back on the table probably.
"Oh, believe me, lover boy. You will," she mumbled to herself.

Time skips,

(Y/n) hummed softly as she walked her way towards her locker. She smiled when she saw that Duncan was waiting for her there by her locker.
"Duncan!" she called happily as she ran up to him while Duncan looked up when he heard his name. He blushed when he saw (Y/n)'s new hairstyle.

 He blushed when he saw (Y/n)'s new hairstyle

"Hey...new hairstyle? You look great," Duncan said, just when (Y/n) reached him. She smiled and cupped a few strands of her hair away behind her ear.
"Oh, yeah. Jenna did it for me. Have you been waiting long?" she asked and Duncan smiled as he watched her open her locker. "Nah. Not really. I just finished early today," he said and she smiled as the two of them went silent for a while. Duncan took a deep breath and started rubbing the back of his neck nervously as he watched.

"S-So, uhh...by any chance, are you coming to the party this weekend?" he started, drawing the (Y/n)'s attention to him as she closed her locker.
"You mean...the one on Berkshire Lane, coming this Saturday?" she asked and Duncan nodded, "Y-Yea. That's the one."

"Umm...Yea. It's not really my kind of scene, but I am, actually. What about you?" the girl asked and Duncan smiled, "I-I was thinking I should drop by since I've never really been to one before," he said and (Y/n)'s eyes widened. "You've never been to a party before??" she asked as they started walking towards the exit. "Yea, no one really invited me with you know...all the trouble I used to be into," he said and (Y/n) frowned before she smiled.

"You know what? I think we should go," she said, her eyes meeting with the amber ones which she's been starting to take a liking to.
"To the party I mean. Like...I don't know,  just the two of us if you don't mind. That's unless...you have already got someone to go with?" she said, blushing slightly and Duncan was dump founded for a second before he blushed when he realized that (Y/n)'s beat him to it by asking him out first instead when he was trying to do it.

"Umm...y-yea. I think that'd be great. I...I actually meant to ask you out, but...guess you beat me to it," he said with a small blush as he looked away, trying to hide his blush while the girl's eyes widened at his words, and she felt her blood rushing to her cheeks once again. At the same time, she was somehow feeling really happy at his words on the inside as she tried to hide her smile.
"Well, next time you ask me out then," she said with a very happy smile before picking up her speed a little to hide her red face while Duncan was stunned at her words for a while.
"Are you coming with?" (Y/n) asked, turning back to him with a smile as her braided hair waved perfectly at the way she moved.

Duncan smiled and immediately ran up to her side as the two of them smiled and started walking back towards their homes, both of them satisfied with their selves for blindly ending up taking their chances.