Fire in Our Hearts

Your pov,

I exited the Homecoming and started walking down the halls, walking after Duncan. He must have gone to the canteen since no one is there at the moment and that's one of the places he could cool off. I wrapped an arm around myself, feeling a bit uncomfortable with how dark the halls looked. I picked up my pace and walked faster towards the canteen.

Soon, I reached there and entered the canteen quietly as I looked around in the dark room where only the dim light of the moon shines. There he is.

Duncan was standing there on the other side of the room with his back facing me as he leaned against the wall. I slowly started walking towards him, "Duncan?"

Hearing me called his name, Duncan turned his head slightly to glance at me before he sighed

He unfastened his neck tie a little to make it easier to breathe before he leaned his back against the wall and slowly sat down on the floor, not looking up at me.

"You should probably go, (Y/n)...Troy's right. You're...better off without me," he said slowly and I felt my heart dropped at his words. It hurts. It hurts to see him like this. "Hey...don't say that. They just...don't understand, that's all," I said, but Duncan only sighed and shook his head.

"No, but they're right," he said, standing up onto his feet as he lifted his head and finally looked up into my eyes. "I don't belong here," he said and started walking away. I stepped in front him with a frown, stopping him, "No. Duncan, you belong here more than anyone does. Don't let their words get to you," I said, holding onto his arms gently as I tried to look into his amber eyes while Duncan refused to look at me.

"And I don't care what they say. They don't know you like I know you," I said and Duncan shook his head as he snapped his head back to me. "No, (Y/n), don't you see? It doesn't matter! No matter what I do or no matter what I say, they'll never accept me. They all see me as a-!" he stopped when I went into his arms and wrapped my arms around him, hugging him tightly before he could finish his sentence. "You're not a monster, Duncan. Please, stop thinking it like that," I said, burying my head in his chest.

Duncan was frozen for a while, hesitating to hug me back. "(Y/n), I don't understand. There are plenty of guys out there who can treat you better than I do. And yet, you're here with me. I-I'm really glad that you like me back the way I like you. I do, really. But let's face it. It's not going to work out between us," he stated, his last words hitting me like a sharp dagger being twisted in my chest.

He held me from my arms and gently pulled me away to look into my eyes, but I refused to look at him, not wanting to let him see the tears welling up in my eyes and because I knew all too well about what he was about to say next. "Please. Just...forget about me, okay?" he said, lifting my chin to make me look into his eyes and Duncan almost froze immediately, his eyes widening with surprise as he saw the tears in my eyes that I have failed to hide from him.