Chapter 45 "Delving In"

Alexandra

Looking at the gun I was holding, slowly trailing my gaze to its smooth surface, I gritted my teeth in anger as the video message I got from Clifford earlier had crossed my mind. Just seeing his face on the screen and hearing his voice was enough to get me pissed, but using Lauren and Becca to threaten me to get what he wanted, was infuriating to no end. Yes, I was worried for their safety, and even if we expected that this would happen, it wasn't enough to ease my worry, it was why I was distracting myself with the anger I was feeling towards him. It helped me think more, than what worrying would do to me. It fueled my will to wipe the grin I saw on his face earlier, and finish him off for good.

But for now, doing what he wanted me to do, seemed like the right decision to keep Lauren and Becca safe.

As I was currently in my car, examining my surrounding for a while now, I tucked my gun on my waist behind, and decided to get out of the vehicle. I already inspected the premise, and seemed like nothing was unusual, and no one suspicious was lingering around, except me, which was why it was now a good time to see Amelia and talk to her.

I approached the huge double metal gate, eventually seeing the two guards stationed by it. Sensing my approaching figure, they immediately turned to look in my direction, and automatically stood guard as their hands rested on the holster of their guns.

"I need to see Amelia," I said once I reached the gate, without even bothering to greet them.

"Wait a second," the one with a square jaw easily answered, looking at me sharply. They weren't showing that much hostility towards me unlike before as they had already recognized me.

The other guard immediately spoke through their comm, and it was for few seconds, the two turned to look at me once again.

"Proceed," the same guard spoke, and immediately the gate slid open. I stepped inside the property with nothing but determination to speak to Amelia. If I had any other choice, I wouldn't even bother coming here as seeing her was the last thing I wanted to do, but as much as I hated to admit it, I needed her help. The fact that I treated her with great disdain ever since, I wasn't expecting she would help me, especially when what I was about to ask her was risky, but I was desperate, because Clifford wanted her back, in exchange for Lauren and Becca.

I didn't trust Clifford, not even a bit, but if getting Amelia to see him was a chance to keep the two people I loved safe for a short period of time, then I would do it. I may be selfish for doing this, for asking to risk Amelia's life, but hells, I could never stomach the thought of losing Lauren and Becca just because I was thinking about her safety. Besides, one thing Amelia had said that I believed, was the fact that Clifford loved her and would never hurt her.

I reached their front yard and immediately saw her waiting for me by the door. By the look on her face, she knew what I was here for, and that it wasn't going to be pleasant.

"I need to talk to you," I started, stopping in front of her. She stared at me searchingly for a while, but then gave me a subtle nod afterwards.

"Let's go inside," she replied, briefly flickering her gaze at the surrounding, before stepping aside to let me in. I obliged, and walked inside silently, thinking how I should start the conversation with her.

Before we could reach in the middle of the room, I eventually turned around to face her.

"I need your help," I immediately blurted out, leaving her briefly in daze.

"You...want my help?" she asked for confirmation, and I gave her a nod. "What can I do?" she queried, sounding eager this time.

"Clifford wants you back, and I need you to do that for me," I answered right away, making her expression fall eventually.