Chapter 46 "Charade"

Lauren

My heart skipped a beat when I saw how Amelia easily pointed the gun on her daughter's back, and turned the table, in favor of her husband. She chose to betray Alex once again instead of side with her, and that was terrible. What it felt like, I couldn't imagine it for Alex. She was supposed to be protecting her daughter, not only to make up all the wrongdoings she did in the past, but also it was her responsibility as Alex's mother, but it seemed like Clifford was more important for her. She could betray her own blood, time and time again for that motherf*cking murderer.

But that wasn't the main problem now. The only card that Alex had, had turned against her and now sided with Clifford, which only meant that nothing was stopping Clifford from killing us now. We were on our own, and even that was a problem, because we were outnumbered and surrounded.

There was no chance of us getting out of here alive.

"You tricked me," Alex mumbled, glaring at Amelia who was still aiming her gun on her, anger was evident on her tone.

Amelia was now in front of Alex, her back was onto us, and even if I couldn't see her expression, I knew she had her triumphant smile on.

"And you fell for it, honey," Amelia chuckled, while Clifford snickered near me. "I thought you were smart. I thought you would figure it out, like, didn't you think, out of the blue, I came to you and had a change of heart?" she asked amusingly, but Alex just clenched her jaw, listening to her. "Though I admit, I was anxious at first, I didn't know what was going on with that pretty little head of yours Alex, and you were hard on me, which made things a little difficult for me."

"I thought you've changed," Alex replied, making her snort.

"Changed? There's nothing for me anymore if I went back to being me, the old me, honey."

"Clearly. Even if you did change, I wouldn't wanna be your daughter," Alex retorted.

I noticed a smile on Amelia's side profile. "And I also don't want to go back to being poor and helpless, even if it means I get to be your mother again."

"So then it's all money and power for you...That's why you killed my father, because you were scared he would leave you with nothing when he found out your infidelity with Clifford," Alex spatted, "You staged everything that night..." Alex's voice came out mumble as realization hit her.

"Bingo!" Clifford shouted amusingly, briefly clapping his hands, making me clench my jaw.

"You can't blame me. I had enough of my life before I married him. It's true your father was the one who saved me out of that misery of a life, and we were in love, but after everything we had been through, he was going to take everything from me, and I couldn't allow it..."

"It was your fault!" Alex snapped, "You cheated with his bestfriend, after everything you two had been through! You say you two were in love? Well clearly you are wrong. You just loved his money, and you killed him, because he was going to take that from you." Anger was palpable in her voice, and it was clear she was trying to keep herself at bay.

"You would never understand, honey... Everything that I have now, I owe it to myself. I deserve all of it."

"No. You deserve to suffer for what you did..."

Amelia smiled, "There's nothing you can do now, Alex. We won."

"What are you gonna do now then?" Alex questioned, "you have me here, let Lauren and Becca go."

Amelia shook her head, "Think about it this way. If I let them go, then they will tell the police everything, and they'll find out where we are...It's best to get rid of them to avoid complications, don't you think?"