Chapter 26 "Unveiled"

Lauren

As soon as I parked my car, and turned the engine off, I immediately got out of the vehicle, and ran towards the entrance of the hospital, with my heart pounding hard against my chest, thinking only of Alexandra. Even though she didn't get hurt as she told me when she called earlier, I couldn't stop myself from worrying about her. This was the second attempt for her life, and even if she was safe, she almost got hurt, and it was something traumatic to experience through. I just hoped she was holding up okay after what she had gone through, and now that she got her mother to worry about.

Running through the entrance, I headed straight to the the reception desk, and took a deep breath, before speaking up.

"Amelia Coldwell," I said in a slightly shaky voice, causing the nurse to look up to me, before she briefly looked at the computer in front of her, creasing her forehead at the same time as she read through the monitor.

"She's still in the operating room," the nurse said after a moment.

I nodded, "Where can I find the room?" I asked urgently.

"Lauren?" Hearing her soft voice, I immediately turned to look at her, and saw her weary figure, and slightly disheveled hair as she slowly walked towards me. Feeling glad of seeing her, I met her halfway, and eventually engulfed her in a hug.

"I'm glad you're okay Alex," I mumbled, squeezing her body gently.

"Me too," she mumbled weakly, before I decided to pull away from her, and looked at her searchingly, "if it hadn't for her, I would be lying in that operating table right now."

I raised my hand to touch her cheek, "I know you're worried about her, but she will be fine Alex," I reassured, and felt her hand held my hand on her face, before gently bringing it down.

"That's the thing Lauren...I'm not even worried about her..."

"What?"

"I'm used to not having her around...All I'm feeling right now is gratitude that she saved my life, and confusion as to why she saved me."

I frowned, "She saved you because you're her daughter Alex," I said, making her briefly smile mockingly.

"Probably that's the reason, or... she has a hidden agenda."

"And what do you think would that be?"

She shook her head, "I don't know, and I'm not sure for now Lauren, but I will find out," she said sternly, and I held her hands, squeezing them gently.

"Look, let's not think about that for now, you had been through something terrible today, let your mind and body rest even for a bit," I said, hopeful, making her nod subtly.

"Okay I will Lauren," she said, before pausing as she took my hands into hers, squeezing them, "thank you for being here, it means everything to me," she added, and smiled, making me return her smile.

"I'll always be here for you Alex...I love you," I said sincerely.

"And I love you too," she mumbled, before bringing my hands she was holding to her lips, causing my heart to skip a beat. 

"So this is what you're up to Lauren," A familiar voice rang through behind me, making my body to instantly go rigid, and causing Alex to immediately let go of my hands, feeling the warmth slowly disappeared as I looked at her clenching her jaw.

"Isaac," she mumbled calmly, but with a hint of spite on it. Steeling myself, I slowly turned around, and immediately saw dad's glowering face. 

"Dad..."