Chapter 9 "Test"

Lauren

As I stared at the framed photo of Ethan and I on his desk, my mind suddenly drifted to the woman who was constantly plaguing my thoughts since then. Spending a night in her apartment was totally unexpected as I didn't think I would find comfort in it. It really felt like home, and for the first time in months, I was able to sleep through the night uninterrupted, which I was thankful for as it was what I needed for after a long time. 

Sadly, it didn't last long when I had to wake me up, and talk to mom.

I admit, when the conversation got heated up, I was a little shocked when Alex defended me from mom. I never expected her to do that, even I didn't think she would care to listen in on us. She really surprised me at that time, but I was more surprised at myself for snapping at mom when she disrespected her. I didn't know what had gotten into me, but that time when I heard how mom called her pathetic, I instantly felt angry, and just snapped. 

I was confused as to what pushed me to talk back to mom, it could be about the hate I would usually feel when someone said bad things to other people...or it could be something else that I had yet figured out.

"Lauren?" My thoughts were suddenly interrupted when a familiar voice called me. I turned my chair to the source, and saw Ethan's relieved expression.

"Ethan," I mumbled indifferently as I slowly stood up.

He smiled, then eventually walked towards me, "I'm glad you're here, I missed you," he mumbled, before engulfing me in a hug. He then let me go as he cupped my face, and suddenly claimed my lips, which caught me off guard, but I didn't let him had it though as I gently pushed him on the chest.

"Ethan, don't..."

He let out an exasperated sigh, "Just let me explain, okay, I..." he trailed off when he saw me slowly shaking my head.

"There's nothing to explain, I know what I saw." He stared at me briefly as his soft expression had turned into a scowl.

"Well, you're clearly jumping to conclusions!" he suddenly snapped, causing me to almost flinch, "What you saw back there?...It was nothing! She was the one who came on to me, I was just acting out of...respect!"

I nodded, "Of course, out of respect...did that involve you giving her a great sex? Because that was what the two of you were about to do, right? Or did you already forget about it?" I asked sarcastically.

He snorted bitterly, shaking his head, "You're unbelievable..."

"When are you going to stop this Ethan?"

"Are you serious right now? Do I look like a cheater to you? Huh?!"

"Yes!" I snapped back, "Don't think I don't know Ethan, because I do!...I know you're cheating on me...bedding other women every chance you could get, and all I could do is to shut my mouth because of you, your family, and my dad!...If it weren't for them, I would have ended this relationship already!"

"Don't you dare..." he warned, clenching his jaw, "don't you dare break this engagement off Lauren, because if you do, it will tarnish my family's reputation in a way..."

I sidled closer to him, cutting him off, "If you don't want that...then give me a reason not to, Ethan." With that being said, I tore my gaze away from him, grabbing my bag on the chair, and eventually walked past him, bumping his shoulder on the process.

I made my way out of his office, and as soon as I stepped out, I immediately noticed his secretary looking at me with great disdain, but I ignored her as I wasn't in the mood to deal with her. For all I knew, she could be sleeping with my fiance, and if I confronted her about it, it would just add to my stress.