Chapter 4 "Anger"

I mustered up a blank expression, returning Amelia's searching gaze as my heart had started pounding on my chest. Different emotions had bubbled up inside, but anger was what I felt the most. I was angry, mad even, now that we were face to face, because out of all the men in the world, she chose to marry Cliff Coldwell, the man who killed my father, who was once her husband. 

By marrying him, she had betrayed us, and that made me wonder if she ever felt remorse towards the man. I wanted her to suffer, I wanted her to feel the pain I had been through as I mourned for dad, while she was living happily with a murderer, and like what I would do to Cliff, I would make her beg on her knees. 

For all I knew, she colluded with Cliff that night of the murder.

"Alexandra?" her familiar voice echoed through my head, snapping me to reality, and I let out a shaky breath. "You're Alexandra, right? Lauren's new assistant?" she added questioningly, causing me to inwardly sigh in relief as I thought for a moment she had recognized me.

I nodded, "Yes. Alexandra Kensington," I answered, extending my arm out at the same time. She briefly glanced at my hand before smiling, and shook it. For a fleeting moment, I wanted to squeeze her hand as hard as I could to inflict pain on her, but I stopped myself even if it was hard, as it would be a stupid move.

"Amelia Coldwell. Nice to meet you, Alexandra," she greeted delightedly, causing me to clench my jaw, "Come on in," she added.

"Alex?" Lauren suddenly called before I could take a step as she appeared behind Amelia, and for the first time, I felt relieved seeing her as I didn't think being alone with Amelia any longer was a good idea, without me lashing out at her.

I forced a smile, "Good evening, Ms. Harrington."

"I'm glad you made it! Come in," she beckoned, and I reluctantly stepped foot inside, glancing at Amelia who was now looking at me suspiciously. I smirked at her before following Lauren further in, leaving her to tail behind us. I instantly felt her gaze on my back, but I didn't look back as I fixed my gaze on Lauren's bouncing curls, covering half of her bare back. 

As we made our way to Ethan's direction, Lauren suddenly stopped as she took a glass of wine from a passing maid before handing it to me. I reluctantly took the glass, and looked at her blankly.

"That's the new product of dad's hobby. He calls it 'La Grandezza' or 'The Greatness'...Come on, try it..." she urged while I almost rolled my eyes at the label as it wasn't that surprising Cliff would name it that. 

Typical. 

With her request, I faintly sniffed at the sweet aroma the wine exuded, before taking a sip, and immediately, its seamlessly integrated flavors had spread through my mouth, which, I hated to say, a good taste for a wine. I didn't expect Cliff would be good at something...aside from killing people. 

"So?" Lauren probed with a tint of excitement in her voice.

"It's good," I simply replied, causing her to smile widely.

"Yeah? I'm glad you like it." As I returned her smile, I noticed Ethan had sidled up behind her, and without her knowing, he eventually kissed her neck, making her flinch at the sudden contact. She turned to look at him with an annoyed expression, but Ethan quickly captured her lips before she could even react, causing me to look away as I sipped some wine.

"Ethan, s-stop..." she mumbled, and saw her gently pushing Ethan when I glanced at them.

"Oh baby, you just look irresistibly beautiful," he mumbled against her lips.

"Not now Ethan," she said, placing a firm hand on his chest, and I cleared my throat to get his attention so he would stop pestering Lauren. He turned to look at me with a frustrated sigh, but eventually, his eyes traveled down, taking in my attire, and when I saw him bit his lower lip, I knew he was liking what he was seeing.