The first fight.

*A/N: picture of sheriffs station above.*

"How many do you think are inside?" Andrea asked, her eyes fixed on the ominous building.

Emma glanced at the station, calculating, "I can count eight."

The sound of Shane venting his frustration with a thud on the steering wheel startled her, pulling her eyes away from the dead at the window. "This is bullshit!" Shane erupted.

"Emma," Andrea began, "Does this place have an entrance at the back?"

"Uh, yeah but it's usually locked." Emma replied.

"And suppose, by some miracle, we manage to get inside - how easy would it be to reach the weapons, grab them, and get out without encountering any trouble?" Andrea questioned, her gaze returning to the sheriff's station.

Emma tracked Andrea's gaze, mentally mapping the layout of the station. She had only visited a handful of times, but the interior had become somewhat familiar over the years.

"The main office is where we need to go—second room on the left through the back entrance." She detailed, "Weapons and ammo are stored in lockers. We'll just have to pray that they'll be open."

"Jesus christ, Swan, sounds like a death wish." Shane grumbled.

"What's the alternative, Shane?" Andrea argued, "We've come this far - we need those weapons. Sooner or later we're going to rely on them."

Jack ran his hands over his face in distress, his eyes flittering between the sheriffs station and the road ahead. Slowly, he turned his head and his eyes met Emma's. "You think this can work?"

Emma's gaze trailed back to the gruesome scene at the station's windows. "Honestly? I don't know. But I think Andrea's right."

"Alright." He said, "How are we going to do this?"

Over the next few minutes, a plan unfolded, and before Emma could fully grasp the implications, she found herself gripping her knife with trembling hands, hesitantly opening the truck's door.

Circling around the vehicle to the curb outside the station, she noticed Shane and Andrea mirroring her apprehensive expression. "Ready?"

"Lead the way, Blondie," Shane gruffed with a nod.

————

After pressing her ear against the back door for a few minutes and ensuring no signs of life we're behind it, Emma glanced at Shane and Andrea, giving them a reassuring nod.

Reaching down, she tested the metal doorknob and could've cried when it smoothly clicked open. Emma cautiously began to open the door inch by inch until there was enough room for them to slip through the crack.

"Leave it open." she muttered quietly, stepping inside. Emma felt herself almost gasp at the sight of the corridor. Pools of blood were everywhere - smeared all over the floor and walls next to lifeless bodies that had been ravished by the dead, and remaining hand prints ccovered the walls.

Every step felt heavier, and the closer they came to the moans and groans of the walkers, the more Emma's heart began beating. She was almost certain that Andrea could hear her heart beating from behind her.