Conflicted Conversations

*Image of my horrible photoshop job of Emma & Regina above.*

In the midst of the zombie apocalypse, time seemed to pass at an agonising pace. Despite the day being filled with the relentless struggle against walkers and the desperate search for supplies, they found themselves back at Emma's tiny apartment by two o'clock.

Leaving August resting on the couch, Emma strolled to the kitchen, finding Regina leaning over the counter top, her dark hair obscuring her face as she rearranged a few cans. Henry sat on the floor, pen in hand, casting an expectant look at his mother. "Add a number one next to the peas, sweetheart," Regina instructed, to which he eagerly complied.

Emma whistled, catching Regina's attention as her head shot up at the sound. "You sure know how to organise." Emma remarked.

The brunette hummed, "I suppose I do, yes."

"I've been helping!" Henry chimed in from the floor.

"I see that." Emma acknowledged, "How's it going so far?"

"Well," Regina bent down, retrieving the piece of paper from the floor. She examined it for a few moments as Emma's green eyes flicked down to her pouting lips. Regina's face was bare, mostly free of makeup except for some remaining mascara and brow product. There was something about the natural pinkness and plumpness of the mayor's lips that captivated Emma's gaze.

"- a couple of weeks at most, which means we won't have to go hunting again for a while."

Clearing her throat, Emma offered a faint smile.. "That's great." She stepped further into the cosy kitchen, taking in the array of neatly organised food products on the small countertops and the empty bags piled up in the corner of the room.

"Is there some kind of a method to your madness, here?" She asked, gesturing towards the neatly organised food on the counter.

"Well," Regina cleared her throat, "These three piles here are for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I've organised each item by their expiration date, too so hopefully this will all be consumed before it has the chance to go off."

Emma nodded, "I'm impressed. Though, I can't say I'm too hyped about having to eat raisin bran for the next two weeks." Grimacing, she reached over and grabbed the unopened box from the counter and gave it a once-over.

"Like seriously, who eats this stuff?" Catching Henry's eye, she stuck her tongue out with a disgusted expression on her face. The boy giggled.

She caught the end of an eye roll from Regina, "Let me guess, you'd prefer that god awful, what is it, lucky charms?"

"God no! I'm a more of a chocolate kind of gal - Reese's puffs are my go-to if I'm not at the station." 

"And when you are?"

Emma grinned, "Bear claws and a hell of a lot of coffee."

The brunette winced, busying herself with lining up the cans in a row. "It's a wonder you're in good shape." She commented.

The blonde froze, feeling heat prickle at her neck. Clearing her throat, she shifted and decided to change the subject. "Did you, uh -" Emma started, her hands sliding into her back pockets as she rocked on the balls of her feet, "did you see the sneakers?"

Regina tilted her head and replied, "The pair in the suitcase? Yes, I did." Her response carried a touch of sarcasm, but her brows were knitted together in confusion.

Emma offered a hesitant smile as she spoke, "They're for you."

"Excuse me?"

"They're for you," Emma reiterated, shrugging, "I figured you wouldn't get very far in the heels you've been wearing."