New Arrivals and Plans

Emma took a cautious step backward, allowing Andrea to rush forward and envelop the disbelieved Mary Margaret in a hug. The poor woman looked like Emma had done only a few hours ago - covered in grime, exhausted, and clearly in need of more than a canned meal.

"My goodness, I am so relieved to have found you all." Mary Margaret gushed, her eyes glassing over as she glanced at the group.

As Mary Margaret prepared to step further inside, Regina couldn't resist interjecting with her trademark sarcasm. "Just what I needed, more people in my house," she quipped, her tone dripping with disdain.

Mary Margaret hesitated, her previous look of relief replaced with disappointment. She took a deep breath before explaining, "I'm sorry, Regina. When we couldn't find you at Emma's apartment we naturally came looking here."

Regina raised an eyebrow, "Because, of course, what I needed was more people invading my personal space."

"Can you stop?" Andrea snapped back, her frustration evident in her response, "What's the matter with you?"

Regina scoffed and directed her icy gaze at the blonde. "It seems as though you have forgotten, Miss Harrison, that this is my home. I am well within my rights to say who stays and who doesn't." She tilted her head and gestured towards the door with a theatrical flair. "If that's an issue for you, there's the door."

Andrea's face flushed with anger, her fists clenched by her side. She looked seething, and when Emma peered at the mayor she understood why. Regina wore a smug expression, her lips curved into a satisfying smirk whilst her eyebrow remained raised in challenge. It was clear that Regina was used to getting her way and she could imagine this very look being used countless times throughout her day in the office when someone needed putting in their place. It wouldn't work for most people, but, Regina had an authoritative essence about her that made people stop and listen.

The air between them crackled with tension, creating a palpable energy that Emma was sure everyone could feel.

Shane stepped forward, "Maybe rich bitch is right. More people only leads to more mouths to feed. We're already struggling as it is."

Andrea, resolute, crossed her arms, her gaze narrowing with determination. "Shutting people out isn't the solution. We're stronger together, and we just need to be resourceful and support each other."

The man with piercing blue eyes gently placed his hand on his wife's shoulder, his voice a soothing blend of softness and steadiness. "We really don't want to cause any trouble, Madame Mayor." he spoke, extruding a calm reassurance. "We're just asking to stay for one night - just to get ourselves back on our feet and then we'll be out of your hair."

"It's okay, David." Mary Margaret interjected.

Emma edged closer to the mayor and lowered her voice, "I know this isn't ideal, and you've already been kind enough to shelter us -"

"Miss Swan," Regina barked, raising her hand to silence the blonde, "If you so much as utter-"

A sudden interruption came in the form of a baby's cry echoing through the hall, causing Regina's sharp words to trial off as Mary Margaret unzipped her coat, revealing a small baby swaddled close to her chest.

Emma observed a fleeting emotion in Regina's eyes, a glimpse of something softer she had only seen during moments with her son, as she watched Mary Margaret hush her newborn.

But as quickly as it appeared, the moment it vanished, and the mayor pinched the bridge of her nose with a sigh.

"One night." she huffed, her tone begrudgingly conceding, "Just stay out of my way." With that, Regina turned on her heel, muttering something about needing a drink.