Silver spoons

The trio soon left the pharmacy with their bags pulling with medical supplies. Andrea took her place the wheel, insisting that she driving them back due to Emmas injury. Regina slid into the passenger seat, ready to give the other blonde directions.

Emma stayed quiet, resting her head against the cool window, hoping that it might alleviate the throbbing coming from her forehead. It had stopped bleeding pretty quickly, but it still hurt like hell.

She closed her eyes, focusing on the feeling of glass against her wounded skin, and wondered if it was always going to be like this— a continuous cycle of injuries until one day a Walker got too close. Her pre-apocalyptic life involved being on the run, dealing with aggressive criminals, that usually ended with exhaustion and occasional minor injuries. But, nothing could have prepared her for this.

She thought she heard the sound of a bag being unzipped from the front of the car but paid no attention to it. She wondered how long it would be until they'd be back at Regina's mansion and if it would be acceptable to sneak upstairs and sleep.

"Take these." she heard Regina demand. Emma peaked one eye open and found her turned in her seat with a bottle of pills thrust in front of the blonde.

"What is it?" Emma asked, reaching forward and taking the bottle from her hand. She noted the slight blood stains on the mayor's fingers.

It was a stupid question because Emma knew they wouldn't be anything more than a painkiller, but she was tired and she wanted something to take her mind off of the pain.  She was already popping off the cap and tipping a couple of capsules into the palm of her hand as Regina replied.

"Co-dydramol. It'll help with the pain." Regina said, turning back around and gazing out onto the street as Andrea continued to navigate them home.

Emma swallowed the pills with ease, washing them down with the last bit water she had left in her bottle.

"Uh, guys?" Andrea spoke from the front of the beetle. The car was slowing down, and then the familiar jolting happened a moment later. Emma groaned as the car came to a stop in the middle of the road.

"Why did you stop? What's happening?" Regina snapped, her eyes darting from Andrea, who was desperately trying to start the bug once again, and Emma, who had slumped in defeat.

"I don't know." Andrea frowned, frustration evident as she tried turning the key. "It won't start again."

Regina sighed, clearly annoyed by the sudden half. "We'll, figure it out quickly. We don't have time for car troubles."

Andrea shot her a glare, "I'm trying, Regina."

Emma massaged her temples, feeling the onset of a headache. She couldn't help but think that the day had taken a turn for the worse, and the broken-down car was just another hurdle.

"It's the clutch." Emma interjected. "It's happened a couple of times."

"And you didn't think to inform us that your car was malfunctioning before we headed out?" Regina snapped, pinching the bridge of her nose with her thumb and finger. Emma knew she was about to get her ass hauled out.

Emma shifted uncomfortably in her seat, "It usually always restarts fine. I didn't think it would be a problem."

Regina's eyes narrowed, her tone laced with irritation as she responded, "Oh, marvellous. How reassuring."

Emma sighed, feeling the weight of Regina's irritation, "Look, I'm sorry. I've been meaning to get it fixed. I just - money hasn't exactly been-"

"Really, Miss Swan, you've truly outdone yourself. Congratulations, you've now wished death upon all of us." Regina interrupted, her fury evident.