Simmering

*A/N: Picture of Regina & Emma bathroom scene above*

Nightfall arrived sooner than she expected, the sky shifting from an indigo to a jet-black. Evenings had always unsettled Emma; there was something about the way that everything seemed to slow down - cars, time, people, nature and she would often find herself yearning for the morning, wishing to escape the silence and the rhythmic ticking of the target brought clock that marked the passing hours.

Tonight unfolded like any other, yet the atmosphere was eerier. The usual options to throw on some jeans and meet August, or her only other friend Ruby at the dingy bar down town named 'The Rabbit Hole', or to indulge in a tub of ice cream in front of the TV until dawn, we're no longer on the table. The past few nights had stripped away those simple pleasures, leaving Emma feeling trapped and suffocated, a familiar sensation from her childhood in the system and her time in prison.

She rose to catch her breath, moving to stand beside one of the apartment's few windows. Peering into the darkened street, she observed a few wandering lifeless bodies occasionally changing direction. The thought that they would have been someone's family member, friend or neighbour sent a shiver down her spine. The idea that August could have become one of them, if not for their escape from the station haunted her.

Several street lamps cast dim light, a reminder that electricity was still available and a resource
their group had been utilising. The windows of buildings across and down the street were enveloped in pitch-black darkness, concealing any signs of life. Emma pondered the possibility of a family hiding in one of the houses, perhaps fortunate enough to have stocked their pantry before the world fell apart, surviving off the supplies they amassed.

Sighing deeply, Emma absentmindedly ran her fingers through her tangled and dirty fair curls. It desperately needed a cut, a luxury she could never afford due to budget constraints and a lack of hairdressing skills. They still had some gas left, granting them warm water for a while. Emma stood, contemplating whether to head towards the shower for a moment wondering whether she should make her way towards the shower before their luck dwindled, leaving them with the prospect of icy cold water. And, suddenly the idea of a warm shower became much more enticing.

Entering the shower felt like a sigh of relief. The comforting flow of water felt like the warmest hug. She closed her eyes, allowing the cascading water to wash away the accumulated dirt. She ran her fingers through her hair, applying a thick lather of one of the cheapest shampoo she had purchased a week ago on sale. Emma even took the time to shave, figuring it was something she wouldn't do much in the future once their gas supply ceased.

Mindful of both time and the limited gas supply, she reluctantly turned off the flowing water and changed into spare clothing she had brought with her. She opted for black sweatpants, a white t-shirt, and some white Nike socks she had found at a thrift shop long ago. Her wet hair clung to the back of her white t-shirt, though she didn't mind it. She felt refreshed, and it eases her anxiety just a little bit.

The voices from downstairs were a little louder than before - and she thought she could hear August's voice travelling up into the loft and briefly wondered if he was still telling Henry one of his dramatic stories to keep the boy entertained.

Towelling her hair dry as she unlocked and stepped back into the bedroom, Emma froze at the sight of Andrea standing just outside. Andrea's head immediately turned towards her, giving Emma a once-over. She was drowning and looked on edge.

"You might want to come downstairs," Andrea stated, "Things might not end so well."

Emma felt her eyebrows furrow in confusion, but Andrea gestured towards the stairway, and she found herself wandering towards it, her ears perking at the voices from downstairs.