A Selfish Decision

"So, can I ask why you are interested in learning about the Flaherty family?"

"I was close with someone that belonged in that family."

"Really? That's strange. Not even I have ever met someone of the Flaherty family," Cedric said. "I thought that the family died long ago."

Maria walked next to Cedric, it was an awkward silence and she was glad that Cedric had broken the uncomfortable atmosphere. The first stop was to visit Layla Dietrich whose maiden last name is Aragon. Cedric had told Maria about how the two families decided to marry their mother and father years ago to unite the families.

However, their arranged marriage wasn't a good one.

"My mother is in a very delicate state so ... be gentle with her, please," his voice came out almost like a whisper. Maria took a quick moment to look at the young 15-year-old boy. Historia was right, they looked alike ... a little.

They arrived at the mental institution. To Maria, this was something new and rather peaceful. For a moment it was as if the titans didn't exist as if the people just accepted this little moment of peace they had.

It was like this for most of the people in the Capital, but there was still some sense that something was wrong. Here it's different. Nothing exists but them, this small little piece of land.

"My mother is the one sitting by herself on that bench," Cedric pointed towards his mother. She wore a white robe, her hair long, beautiful but a mess. According to the doctors, after the coup d'etat in the Capital, Mrs. Dietrich had a nervous breakdown.

"Please be nice to her."

Maria approached her carefully, holding a blanket she had sewn.

Mrs. Dietrich didn't even dare to look at her. Too lost in her own world to say something. Her hair covered most of her face, her eyes monotone; no emotion in them.

"Hello, Mrs. Dietrich, my name is Maria," she didn't know any better. It was hard to communicate with her. She didn't say anything and the more Maria thought about it, the more she thought this was futile.

"I brought you this blanket, it's getting colder these days. I would feel honored if you accepted it."

Maria delicately placed the blanket next to her. This caught the attention of the woman who quickly eyed the blanket. A few seconds of silence passed until Mrs. Dietrich finally moved, holding the blanket in her hands.

"This is my family's crest, these patterns and sewing ... the embroidery," Mrs. Dietrich ran her fingers through the thread. Trembling a little, deep in thought. "Are you also part of the Aragon family?"

"No, sorry. My mother taught me how to sew this from a very young age. I've been just doing it the same," Maria was happy that at least she had received some response from the woman.

Mrs. Dietrich took a better look at Maria and it didn't take her long for her whole face to change.

"Who are you?" Mrs. Dietrich asked, her face was judging Maria and the brunette felt so belittled by her. Maybe because Mrs. Dietrich had this natural royal aura.

"My name is Maria Turret," Maria says. "And well, I came to visit you because-"

"Are you the daughter of Harris Turret, are you related to Amelia?"

"Yes, they are my father and mother," Maria quickly replied. Glad to have some type of conversation. "Did you know them?"

"Amelia used to be my personal maid and friend ... until she gave birth to you and she had to leave," Mrs. Dietrich said, a bit of resentment was predominant in her voice. "You look like your father."