acquiesce ➳ s.d

synopsis:  to turn someone down and to be turned down by someone,
to be hurt by someone and to hurt someone;
a love where no one gets hurt doesn't exist.

******

If (First name) could explain her relationship with Karasuno's volleyball captain: Sawamura Daichi, she can consider it as nonexistent.

Sawamura and her had been classmates since first year and saying that they were best friends was no exaggeration. This closeness made a rumor about the two being lovers that quickly spread around like wildfire.

Though in all honesty, she would love to be with him.

She thought about all the times they were together, the way he laughed, the way he showed kindness, the way he was always gentle; while walking back home with the boy's volleyball captain, she began to think about everything that had happened between the two of them for the past three years.

How she had always harboured feelings for him, and how she had always admired him from afar, supporting him silently because she doesn't know the part of Sawamura that had always loved volleyball. But as she recalled every moment, he said something that will either make her hope that she had a chance with him or would crash down even the smallest chance of this love.

"(First name), I think I like someone." He stated, snapping her off her trance as she turned her head towards his direction, showing him a smile "Really? Who is it?" (First name) smirked and asked him, her heart beating so fast in her chest as she anticipated his answer.

"It's Yui," he admitted and she wondered why heart continued to thump loudly in her chest that it began to hurt. She didn't know whether she should be sad, because the boy that she likes has someone else in his heart already, or happy, because she knew that Sawamura had a chance with the girl he truly likes. "I think, I'll confess on graduation."

Her heart sunk, everything felt crestfallen. But despite the pain overwhelming her well-being, she forced a smile and playfully smacked his shoulder, trying to convince herself that it doesn't matter one bit; but no, it matters. He meant the fucking world to her and she just can't ignore the pain in her heart.

"Really? Then, good luck!" She told him, making him smile warmly, it stung her heart. She could not imagine Sawamura smiling like that to another girl. She felt tears threatening to spill anytime. "Thank you." She smiled back at him, bidding their own farewells to each other as the two of them reached a certain junction that had always seperated them after school.

Suddenly, all the tears she's been holding back came out. As she covered her face, she felt a hand placed on her shoulder, making her turn around to see if it was Sawamura. Thinking that he would take all those words back and tell her he likes her. It was selfish. But that's how love works and it's ruining her.

But as she saw who it was, she felt everything crumbling down.

"(First name)-chan?"

Sugawara looked at her, clearly worried. "Is everything alright? What happened?" At this few words, however, the tears spilled out uncontrollably. She hugged Sugawara, and he said nothing about this. He rubbed circles on her back, saying comforting words to her that made everything feel a little better. "It's okay, (First name). I'm here."

At the wall of a junction stood Daichi. He had a bitter smile and he has tears falling down in his eyes. He actually loved (First name), but Sugawara also loved her as well. And since he rather sacrifice his own happiness for his friend, even though it was his decision, he can't help but feel his heart clench in pain. He let his tears meet the asphalt before placing both of his hands on his eyes to stop the warm liquid from falling. He wanted to be the one who makes her smile, who holds her close, who loves her, and the one who comforts her.

Albeit, I'm afraid to tell you that Sugawara was the one who did all of that instead of him.

Daichi believed that it was for the best—

He may not prevented her pain, but at least he alleviate it.

And by that, all I mean is, by rejecting her and letting her go.

But is he really okay with that?

Of course he's not.

But he knew that all he could do now is to acquiesce the consequences.