letting go ➳ y.m

synopsis: let's be honest here:
there are people that meant the whole world to you;
while you're just a speck of dust to them.

******

(First name) had always liked her best friend for 8 years - Yaku Morisuke. The two were close and shared their deepest secrets together. She had been following him the past years and he doesn't seem bothered by it. (First name) always watched him from afar since they attended high school, when Yaku joined the volleyball club, he was too busy to even talk to the girl. Texting him was great, although he doesn't reply to some of her texts, but when he did, that enough makes her happy.

She asked him if he could join her to the mall and accompany her, but she always gets the text: 'Sorry. We have a practice after school.' At first she believed at him, that he must have a hectic schedule considering he was in the volleyball club so she let it pass. But he's been making excuses for the past three years and it hit (First name).

He was simply doing it to avoid her.

She understood that. She did, really. She knew he had new friends and she got replaced. And she knew who took her place.

Lev Haiba.

She always saw them together. They were close, really close, but in a friendly way. She then came up to a conclusion. She got replaced, to him she's just a speck of dust while Lev and his teammates is the light of his life.

She no longer holds a place in his life.

So, she decided to give up and let go. She decided to set Yaku free. Away from her, she let him live his life - without her. Besides, it's not a loss for him right? Because everyone goes through this.

People eventually loses a best friend.

Yaku must be tired with her constant messages, and he's a teenager now. Of course, he'll get along with the same gender than the opposite.

This is the best decision, right?

...

Graduation came, it was almost 5 months since Yaku had heard anything about (First name). She stopped texting him, she stopped showing up to their practice, she stopped following him everywhere, and she stopped visiting his classroom and she stopped talking to him.

They never had any contact to each other until now. Their graduation ceremony. He saw her - bright as day - with a guy whom he never saw before. She was smiling and laughing at the jokes he throws to her. And Yaku felt his heart clench in pain.

It was clear. She got tired and replaced him. She got tired of him constantly ignoring her. She got tired of her so-called- best friend.

And she found a new person who would do the favor much better than he did.

Yaku stared dumbfounded there, his teammates called him but he just stared at you; not minding the world around him. You turned around and saw him. Your heart didn't felt the excitement whenever the two of you made eye contact. Every time you looked at him, your heart just aches in pain.

You decided to make a closure with your friendship - that is, if you ever had one with the said 3rd year. Walking towards him with a smile on your face you said; "Congratulations for graduating, Yaku." His heart shattered when he heard you calling him by his surname, you no longer called him with his first name - or the nickname that you had given him.

He just nodded and you sighed, your smile getting bitter on the process. "This is farewell. Goodbye, my first love." As you said this, you turned your heel and went to your new best friend's side. He patted your head and the two of you walked away from Nekoma High.

Yaku swore that his world had shattered, the same as his heart did. He regretted it, he regretted letting you go.

You did it. You finally let go of him. You set him free.

Because you knew that - letting go is the best choice to repel the pain you're feeling.