Chapter 6: The Captive and the Heartrender

The four walked down into the basement, where Dreesen led them to the middle of the room. Someone sat in a chair, bound to it by thick ropes, a burlap sack thrown over their head. 

'Who's this?' Kaz asked. 

'So you don't know everything after all,' Dreesen remarked. He pulled off the sack, showing the face of a young man with raggedy hair that was once - maybe smooth, bright and curly, and a bloodied face. The man's eyes darted around the room listlessly, disoriented by his surroundings. 'This... is Alexei Stepanov. Two weeks ago, young Alexei here crossed through the Fold on foot. Alone.' 

'How?' Inej asked. 

'They're keeping it quiet, but allegedly he was one of a few witnesses to -' he stopped talking as he poured a glass of wine for himself, then turned back to the group, '- an event.' 

'Water...' Alexei begged. Inej stepped up to the table and poured some water in a glass, coming over to the chair and letting Alexei drink heavily from the cup. 

'What kind of event?' Kaz asked. 

'I know an expedition was swarmed by volcra. Should have been a total loss, but something happened. Some device detonated. Obliterated the volcra. Lit up the dark like a forest fire. I know it wasn't a fire or else no one would have survived. This was some invention no one had seen before.' Dreesen pointed to the young man. 'He knows. But he doesn't seem to be able to articulate his account of events.' He walked up to stand beside Kaz. 'Some form of traumatic lapse.' He turned to the Heartrender, whose name was Milana. 'So...' he pointed to Alexei. She walked forward, looking at Kaz for permission. He tilted his head towards the young man in assent. The girl walked forward, kneeling at Alexei's feet and softly extended her hand, running her delicate, manicured fingers over the young man's wrist and hand, feeling for his pulse, his heartbeat, then gently using her Heartrender power to slow his heartbeat to calm him. 

'You're safe now,' she said softly. 'Now you can just speak and I will just listen.' 

'All right...' he said slowly, only meeting eyes with Milana. 

'Tell me what happened in the Fold. What saved you?'

Two weeks ago (in the Shadow Fold)... 

Alexei Stepanov ran, hearing the growls and inhuman screams of the volcra around him as they killed their prey without mercy, Ravkans and Grisha alike. Suddenly, a bright white light lit up the Shadow Fold, sending Alexei stumbling to the ground. He could only watch, rendered speechless as none other than Alina Starkov sent that light barrelling out of her, destroying the volcra to nothing but mere atoms of the monsters they once were. 

Present time (Ketterdam)... 

'You won't believe me, but... it was a Sun Summoner,' Alexei said slowly. From in front of them, among the small group, Inej gave a surprised gasp, her eyes widening with hope. For so long this is what the Suli girl-turned-assassin had dreamt of, to finally see the Sun Summoner come to light, to help the world of Ravka be rid of the Shadow Fold forever. Dreesen knelt next to Milana, gazing into Alexei's eyes. 

'Who was it?' he pressed. 

'If I tell you, you'll set me free?' Alexei asked, his eyes darting unsuredly between the businessman and the Heartrender. 

'You have my word. I'll set you free. You're in Ketterdam now, Alexei. You can go anywhere in the world from here. Just imagine.' The Heartrender nodded her head slowly in assent, further controlling Alexei's heartbeat. He opened his mouth to say something. 'Come on,' Dreesen coaxed. He finally opened his mouth again, and the words tumbled from his lips, ever so soft. 

'Her name is... Alina Starkov.' 

'Alina Starkov?' Dreesen asked. Alexei nodded. 'Good boy.' He stood and crossed over to a desk. 'Show me the manifest.' Dreesen picked up a book and read through something. He turned and smiled. 'Perfect.' 

'You'll set me free now?' the young man asked. 

'Of course,' Dreesen replied, pulling out his gun and shooting Alexei Stepanov in the head. The chair toppled backwards with the force of the shot and the weight of the dead man. Milana jumped back in surprise, gasping and screaming in pure, unadulterated shock. The businessman walked over to the young man's dead body and let out a hum, then turned back to the group. 'We are now the only people west of the Fold with this information. My ship sails for West Ravka at dawn. If you can prove that you have a way through the Fold and back, I'll put you on that ship with an advance. If you don't, I'm giving this job to Pekka Rollins.' Dreesen walked past Kaz as the younger man's jaw locked in irritation at the mention of Pekka's name. He turned. 

'Give me a day, and I'll have a plan.' 

'You have until sunrise, then your ship will have sailed, Mr. Brekker. The prize is one million kruge. Now bring me Alina Starkov.' Dreesen walked up the steps, leaving the group alone with the dead Alexei.