Chapter 24: Dark Truths

General Kirigan had just left a second earlier. Alina stood in the room, relishing the kiss, relishing just how far her bond had come with Kirigan. There was no time to really mull on that, or cherish the moment, for a secret door opened and Baghra stepped through, holding a lantern in her hand. 

'Come with me,' the older woman said, beckoning for Alina to come. She turned in shock, a ball of light forming in her hand, ready to attack. 

'Baghra! What are you...?' she asked, letting the ball of light dwindle when she saw it was only Baghra. 

'Stupid girl!' she barked harshly. 'No time to dawdle.' She grabbed Alina's hand and dragged her reluctantly to the door. 

'No!' Alina exclaimed, but it wasn't loud enough to catch anyone's attention. 

'You need to leave this place! You and Adela.' 

'What? Why?' She pulled Alina through the door and pulled it shut, the two walking through the darkness, Baghra's lantern being the only light to guide them. 

'Now, before it's too late.' 

'But, Baghra...' 

'I'm trying to save you from living the rest of your life as a slave.' 

'A slave? But... Baghra?!' She followed the older woman down several flights of steps to a cave clearing. 'Whatever's wrong, I should go back and find Alek - General Kirigan. I'm sure he can help.' Baghra turned to her on the last flight of steps. 

'I'm trying to save you and Adela from Aleksander.' The two came into a corridor. 'He intends to expand the Fold and use it as a weapon. That's what he created it for in the first place.' 

'The Black Heretic created the Fold,' Alina reasoned. 'Centuries ago, and it was a mistake.' She turned to Baghra, cutting off her path. 'Maybe you're dehydrated from all the heat in your hut. He wanted me to train so I could get stronger.' 

'Did he? Or did he want you distracted by dreams of your future with him? Did he want you dependent on him, on his Fabrikator's tricky little gloves?' 

'No. No!' 

'Child, Aleksander is the Black Heretic.' The two kept walking. 'He chose a nobleman's name to hide after he created the Fold.' 

'You're lying,' she said, tears welling up in her eyes. 

'No, she's not,' Adela said, stepping into the light created by the lantern. 'She's not lying.' Alina turned. 

'You didn't know?' 

'No. Trust me, Alina,' she said, grabbing her hands, 'this hurts me just as much as you. I trusted him too. He was my brother.' She let go and scoffed. 'And they say blood is thicker than water.' She looked at Baghra. 'Go on.' 

'Look at me, girl,' Baghra said, flicking her hand, the room turning dark. Alina sighed. 

'You can... But only Kirigan's bloodline...' Her face changed to one of shock again, for perhaps the millionth time that night. 'You're his mother.' 

'My son tried creating his own army with merzost. He didn't think about the people who lived there, what such power would do to them. Turned them into the twisted, evil things that attacked you.' 

'The volcra were men?' 

'And women. Children.' Alina's eyes welled with tears. 'I warned him there'd be a price.' She walked past Alina to some crates, pulling off a large piece of cloth, unveiling a painting. 

'That happened centuries ago!' Alina exclaimed. 

'He's had many names, served many kings, faked countless deaths, waiting for you.' She turned to Adela. 

'Then how have you been able to live so long?' 

'He resurrected me once or twice with merzost,' Adela said. 'He wasn't supposed to. It... it was against the natural order of things. But I got more careful over time, and it's why I haven't died in... in a while. He told me once he couldn't live without me, that he needed to keep his little princess by his side.' 

'With you at his command, he'll be able to enter the Fold and weaponise it as he always planned. He'll be unstoppable.' 

'He told me he wanted to make the country whole again,' Alina replied in a small voice. 

'He's had centuries to master lying to naive girls,' Baghra snapped. 'Did he tell you how lonely he was? Give you a glimpse of the wounded boy? He isn't a boy at all. He is eternal. And you never stood a chance? Did you think this was just about you? He's been obsessed with power... with hunting all of Morozova's creatures. You nearly gave him the Stag. And I'm telling you, you and Adela must hide.' 

'I won't help him. I'll fight back,' Alina said defiantly. 

'You still don't get it, do you?' Adela said. 'He'll kill us all if he gets his hands on you. And he will use you, whether you want it or not. He's been manipulating you since the beginning, don't you see that? Whatever good you think you saw in him, it is gone. That was all a lie. A mere trick.' Baghra turned and walked down another hall, the two women following after her. 

'You're far from strong enough to face him,' Baghra said. 'I thought I had more time to prepare you, but it'll have to wait.' She opened another secret door. Hiking up her skirt, Alina went, then Adela followed. She wasn't wearing her dress now, she was wearing her black leather coat that went down to her mid-lower thigh. The two fully went through the door, Alina leading the way. She took the lantern with her, until they came to a bend. Placing the lantern down, Alina lit a ball of light in her hand, the two going further down the halls. 

'Stay on the main path until the fork,' Baghra's words echoed in both of their minds. 'Take the path to the right. You'll find food storage. Wait there. There are some Grisha who are loyal to me. They will help keep you safe until I find a plan.' The two of us paused at the fork. Then Alina took the left path instead, as Adela hurried after her and out of an entrance.