Chapter 18: Dependence Is Weakness

Alina walked the halls, despondent. No letters had come from Mal for her today, as they hadn't every other day she'd been at the Little Palace. Memories flashed through her head. 

'Together?' the younger Alina asked. 

'Okay. Together.' 

'This is Alina,' Mal introduced her to Mikhael. 

'Your 'little friend' from Keramzin? This is her?' he teasingly joked. Alina came to stand next to Mikhael. 

' "Little friend"?' The three chuckled. 

'Needing anyone else is weak,' Baghra's voice echoed in her mind. Sitting on a cushioned bench in the hall leading to her room, tears flowed to her eyes, but Alina did not let them come out. Looking up, she left the Little Palace, headed for the cave where Baghra resided. She all but ran in and moving her hands out in front of her, she created a ball of light - all by herself. She held the ball of light, and it was much larger... and brighter, than the tea-induced ball of light that she had been holding in her palms just days earlier. 

'Good girl,' Baghra praised. 'Now the work begins.' 

That night, Alina called for the help of Genya. And with her, came Adela on her heels. 

'Someone looks determined,' Adela said softly. Alina sat with her back to the door, but turned when Adela and Genya came in. 

'You wanted to see me?' Genya asked. 

'I need you to do something for me.' Alina thrust out her hand to Genya. 'Erase it,' she said, referring to the scar on her hand from the day that the testers came and she protected herself to be with Mal. As Genya traced her hand over the scar, erasing it entirely, Alina's eyes drifted to the black kefta with gold accents in the corner. Adela cast her eyes to it too. 

'I suppose this means you're ready, then,' Adela said.