Chapter 35: Back Where It All Began

Kirigan was walking out of the tent when Ivan, the Heartrender, jogged up to the general. 

'Sir. The tracker has escaped.' This made the general stop in his tracks. 

'What?' 

'Sometime last night. I have a team looking for him.' 

'If he flees, good,' Kirigan replied after a moment of musing. 'If he gets anywhere near Miss Starkov,' he added, meeting eyes with the Heartrender, 'put him down.' Ivan nodded as Kirigan strode away to prepare for the voyage across the Fold. 

A soldier from the First Army sat at a bench, checking papers as dignitaries got on the skiff journey across the Fold. 

'Consider yourself lucky,' the soldier said to a couple as he handed their papers back to them. 'You're travelling with the Black General and the Sun Summoner, which means you are about to witness the destruction of the Fold.' As the couple headed to the skiff, Jesper stepped up, disguised as a Zemeni guard. He passed the soldier his papers, the ones that Kaz had edited just hours prior. The soldier looked at the papers, scanning them over, then looked up at him and frowned, trying to ascertain his age. 

'I know,' Jesper replied cockily. 'I look amazing for my age.' 

'Well, I thought you looked older.' Jesper laughed, taking the papers back, with Kaz and Inej just trailing behind him. As they walked, the tent flap opened, and the Sun Summoner, dressed in a heavy cloak, stepped through, with Kirigan and his sister, Adela, following not far behind. Adela was wearing a black kefta all too similar to her brother's, with a Second Army guard following behind her, holding her arm. They looked over to Inej. 

'I know,' she said, nodding. 'Not until Novokribirsk.' Kaz tried not to get mad, but the urge to keep Adela safe, even though he barely knew her, spread through his veins. He noticed the traces of dried blood around her lips which he knew were from someone striking her. And hard. But he had to remain calm, grounded, cunning. Like a fox. Unfazed by anything or anyone. Motioning to his crew, they headed towards the skiff. A large contingent of Grisha and high-ranking First Army soldiers came to walk behind the three. 

As they walked with the large contingent of Grisha and soldiers, with several other soldiers crossing themselves reverently at the sight of Alina, General Kirigan leaned over to her and spoke. 

'The tracker's being kept in camp, under guard. Do what's expected of you and he'll be released.' The two kept walking, Alina saying nothing in reply. When they got onto the skiff, Alina was immediately bound and bolted to the floor via her feet. 

'This isn't a good look for you,' she said to him. 'Everyone will see that I'm your prisoner.' He leaned over her shoulder, removing her black fur coat to expose her shoulders, and the antler collar, then passed the coat to Ivan. 

'I doubt very much they'll notice your feet,' he whispered in her ear. 

'Good news, its just as terrifying as I remember,' Jesper said, as he, Kaz and Inej were huddled up towards the back of the skiff. 

'Except this time we're going in completely exposed,' Inej replied. The growling from within the Fold sounded, loud, making all the people on the skiff look up and towards the dark wall that was the Shadow Fold. 

'If I'm meant to die today,' Jesper said, 'and either of you two survive, make sure I have an open casket.' 

'No one's dying today,' Kaz spoke. 'No mourners.' 

'No funerals,' Inej echoed. The darkness of the Fold slowly began to come over their faces as the skiff disappeared within the depths of the murky darkness, taking them into the heart of volcra territory.