Chapter 19: Everything At Once

Outskirts of Chernast... 

The bell tolled. Two soldiers patrolled the large tower. A figure slipped into the barely-there military camp. 

Malyen Oretsev, the only survivor of his tracking party of three, stumbled into the camp, barely hanging on but still alert, holding his bleeding shoulder from the gunshot wound dealt by the Fjerdan soldiers that had attacked them days prior as they took up camp in a snowy wood. It had been like every other night that they'd camped. But for Mikhael and Dubrov, it was their last night to be alive. Mal had seen Morozova's stag, but he didn't know whether it was really in front of his eyes or a fever dream. He'd just made it out of there alive, barely, by the element of pure surprise. One of the guards on the watchtower called out to help him, and men swarmed all around him, but he was numb. Barely heard it. Only felt the pain in his shoulder, and even then that was numbed by his grief - and failure to protect his friends. 

On the way to the Little Palace... 

The row of carts was backed up along the cobblestone road as the soldier in grey and red robes, signifying he was a highly decorated part of the guard of the Little Palace, read the papers for the travelling troupe, which now consisted of Inej and Jesper as two star talents. Kaz was currently impersonating one of the soldiers, staying well hidden in his place. 

'That one is our invitation to perform, signed by the Queen,' Marko said, pointing to the documents. The soldier did not respond, only stared at him. Then, he folded up the papers and spoke. 

'This writ allows you access to the grounds, the main ballroom and nowhere else. You are being employed by the Queen. You are not her guests. You are to stay together as a group, at all times. No guns, no knives, no weapons of any kind. Punishment for violation of these rules ranges from being fired to being fired upon. Now, do we all understand these rules?' Just then there was a shout from the carriage behind them. 

'No!' One of the guards pulled the offender out from under the carriage as he kicked and yelled. 

'Oh, for Saints' sake,' the soldier exclaimed. 

'The Sun Summoner! I just want to see her!' the man yelled out as two soldiers dragged him to his feet, Kaz coming close, as his impersonation allowed. 

'All right, that's enough,' the soldier said. 'Do we really need the entire corps for one man?' The men let the man go, and he returned to his carriage, the matter fully settled. 'Come on. The rest of you, post up, now.' Kaz walked away with the rest of the soldiers as the line returned to a quiet state of inspection by the soldiers. 

In the Little Palace... 

Marie, Nadia and Alina were in the latter's bedroom, laughing loudly. 

'I panicked!' Marie exclaimed. 'Nobody's ever asked to spend time with me before.' 

'So you set him on fire?' Alina asked. 

'It was an accident,' Marie defended, but then Nadia spoke up. 

'The Squallers had to launch him right into the lake.' 

'So, set ablaze, then nearly drowned. You've made quite a first impression.' Marie touched her hand to her forehead, groaning in embarrassment. Just then the door opened and Genya walked in. Nadia and Marie turned to Genya. 

'Hi, Genya,' they said in unison. 

'They need you for the kefta,' she said. 

'Oh, I'm so late,' Marie gasped. 'Come on, Nadia.' The two women headed out of the room, leaving Genya alone with Alina.