Chapter 12: Calm Before the Moment

In Novokribirsk (West Ravka)... 

It had been a failure. The Crows' last link to their journey across the Fold, the only one who could possibly be able to get them across, let alone into the Little Palace to kidnap Alina Starkov - the rogue Heartrender, Nina Zenik, was gone, taken by Fjerdan hunters on the accusation of simply being a Grisha. Probably halfway gone by now to Fjerda to stand trial, although according to the rumours, the trials weren't fair. Not one bit. The Grisha that were kidnapped by the hunters never came back alive. And the man called the Conductor, or Arken, wasn't helping. 

Inej jumped down from the roof ledge as Kaz stalked out of the inn building, with Jesper and Arken following close behind. 

'All clear,' she said, shedding her hood.

'This seems like a reasonable juncture to abandon this whole Sun Summoner plan,' Arken said. Kaz turned to stare at him, dead in the eyes, with that cunning glare he always wore, never seemed to shake. 

'Abandon? We're in this now. I know what a million kruge means to me. What does it mean to you?' 

'Freedom,' Inej replied. 

'Fun. Like, at least a few months,' Jesper added. The Conductor shoved his hands into his pockets and sighed. 

'Retirement.' Kaz's expression did not change. 

'Right. So we press on. Get us across the Fold and I'll figure out the rest on the other side.' Arken pulled out a small, leather-bound notebook. 

'Fine. To cross, I'll need 20 pounds of alabaster coal. A peck of Majdaloun jurda. Not the kind from Kerch. It's too weak. And... a goat.' Kaz's expression did change then, to one of confusion. All of their expressions changed to confusion. 'Now, we meet in the dead of night. There's a wreckage of a skiff northeast, on the edge of town. So, who gets what?' It was Kaz's turn to give orders. 

'Inej, jurda,' she nodded. 'I'll get the goat.' He walked up close to Jesper. 'And Jesper... just the coal. No detours.' Jesper's face at this request reflected that of a child who was telling his mother that he wasn't going to destroy anything while she was out and about. He took the slip of paper from Kaz. 

At the Little Palace... 

'No Army uniform includes a veil,' Alina complained, walking down the hallways with Genya Safin, the Grisha Tailor. 

'You look fine.' 

'Say one wanted to leave the Little Palace...' 

'But everything you need is here,' Genya noted. 

'I've got some things I've forgotten at the camp. I could just go back.' 

'Don't be ridiculous. This way.' Genya led Alina down another hallway. The silence was broken only by Alina attempting to blow the mask off of her face. 'Stop that!' she scolded. 'No one can see you until King Pyotr does.' Alina stopped in front of a mirror and lifted the veil to see her face. 

'It's just as well. This outfit is ridiculous,' Alina replied, the scorn heavy in her voice. 

'Sadly, this is how the King sees the First Army. He cares little for mud, blood and sacrifice.' 

'Shouldn't I be in a kefta?' 

'Oh, no,' Genya replied. 'The King expects to see a humble girl plucked from the ranks of his army. He'll want to take the credit for you. You'll get a kefta once he's witnessed your power.'