Chapter 13: The Old Woman

Alina walked down the dirt path, past the spiritual adviser they called the Apparat. She disliked him from the start. He was creepy and altogether incredibly cryptic. His last words to her ran through her head.

Moments earlier... 

'Baghra awaits,' the Apparat said. 

'Baghra?' Alina questioned. 

'Every Grisha is trained by Baghra to harness their power,' the older man replied as they walked down the gravel road towards a cave, Alina clutching the book that the older man had given her. 'It is quite brutal. Mostly the peasants hate the Grisha, but I think it is because the Grisha do not suffer.' He stopped and met her eyes. 'But... you have suffered, haven't you?' Her face turned confused. 'I think you will suffer more.' She walked away, the words never failing to leave her. 

Present time... 

She went into the cave, still clutching the book. 

'Hello?' There was no answer, only the dripping of water, as was typical for a large cave such as that. 'Hello?' Still no answer. While Alina's back was turned, an older woman walked up behind her. 

'You're late,' the woman said pointedly. Alina spun around in surprise. 'Let's have a look at you.' The woman, who Alina assumed was Baghra, circled her. Alina eyed the woman. 'A Sun Summoner who wastes her time training with Botkin?' Baghra scoffed. 'Are you going to punch your way through the Shadow Fold?' The older woman looked her up and down. 'Where's the rest of you?' Alina was silent. 'Are you mute, girl?' she snapped. Alina hesitated before answering. 

'No.' 

'That's something, I suppose. Where are your parents?' 

'Dead, I suppose,' Alina replied. The two sat on chairs, across from each other. 

'Where did you grow up?' 

'Keramzin.' The woman scoffed at this. 

'You slipped through the cracks and stayed where you didn't belong. Where do you belong?' 

'With my friends,' Alina replied truthfully. 'In the army.' 

'Drawing a little home for yourself in sketchbooks? You don't belong here?' 

'I'm told that I do.' 

'You have to be told a thing to believe it?' the older woman asked pointedly. 

'Not always.' 

'Then what are you? A Sun Summoner? And can you summon the Sun without the general clutching your wrist?' Her mouth fell open slightly at this. 'His blood and bones amplify other Grisha. Did you know that?' 

'Human amplifiers don't exist,' Alina replied, quickly. 

'You're an expert on such things?' Baghra said. 'Can you summon the power on your own?' 

'No.' 

'What about now?' The older woman lifted her cane and smacked Alina's arm, making her wince. Then she stood. 'Everyone believes you are the one. Come back when you believe it too.' Then she left, retreating into the innermost parts of the cave, leaving Alina utterly speechless. 

That evening... 

Marie and Alina sat down to dinner with Nadia and the rest of the table of Grisha.