Chapter 20: Plan In Motion

In Chernast...

The lieutenant poured the hot wax on the letter and was getting ready to seal it, giving his final instructions to the messenger. 

'Deliver this directly to General Kirigan. If anyone...' He was about to continue when Mal burst into the tent, pulling on a shirt. 'You should be resting, soldier,' the older soldier scolded. 

'This is about the Stag, isn't it? You're riding for Os Alta.' 

'You're in no condition to go,' the man defended sharply. 'Sir,' he added, turning back to the lieutenant. 

'I'm the one who found the Stag. I should be the one to deliver the news to her,' Mal replied just as sharply, but stopped and checked himself when he realised what he'd said in regards to Alina. 'To him. To General Kirigan.' The lieutenant passed the note that he'd sealed with the wax to Mal. 

'You'll ride together.' 

Outside of the Little Palace... 

'You're sure it was her?' Kaz asked Jesper as the three, including Arken, sat in a cart just a few short miles from the Little Palace as part of the winter fete. 

'I'm telling you, she's part Shu,' Jesper replied. 

'When exactly did you see her?' Kaz asked. 

'Just after midday.' 

'What's in this room?' Inej asked, pointing to a spot on the map. 

'Fitting room,' Kaz replied. 'It's where she'll go to change for dinner. And that's where we'll grab her.' 

'Out of the way, clean lines of sight, easily controlled space. I like it,' Jesper said. 

'I'd like it too, if it had a door,' Kaz grumbled. 

'It doesn't have a door?' Inej asked. 

'Not one that we can use. It's some sort of Grisha lock. It took a Materialnik to open it.' 

'Is there no way to - pick the lock?' Jesper asked. 

'Actually, there is,' Arken spoke up. 'I can get through the door.' 

'How?' Kaz asked. 

'The locking mechanisms are Fabrikator-designed. Iron cogs that slide into place without a latch. But for one of us to open it, we'll need a lodestone. With a mininum 2,000 gauss external strength. Hard to find.' 

'It's not like we're just walking around with one of those in our pockets,' Jesper replied. Arken sighed and dug around in his large bag, pulling out a small stone that was apparently the lodestone. 

'You don't want to keep it in your pocket for too long,' Arken said, extending the stone to Jesper. 'Not if you're intending on having children someday.' Jesper, having heard this, shrank away from the stone, making a disgusted face. 

'All right,' Kaz spoke up. 'Arken grabs the target.' 

'You want the new guy to grab the million-kruge package?' Inej asked incredulously. 

'The new guy knows his way around Grisha locks,' Kaz retorted, his tone brooking no argument. 'Our futures depend on this. The rest of us will be setting up a lynx flush.' 

'We are?' Inej asked.

'What's a lynx flush?' Arken asked. 

'Lynx are pack hunters,' Inej clarified. 'Very smart.' 

'They'll clear a path for the prey,' Kaz replied, causing Arken to meet his eyes. 

'Oh. So, I grab the Summoner, and you clear the path?' 

'That's right. We do it before dinner,' Kaz replied, grabbing the map and rolling it up. 'You grab, Inej and I clear, and Jesper, make sure there's a fast way out.' 

Aleksander Kirigan stood in front of the mirror in his black leather coat. Meanwhile, Alina entered his room, still in her dressing gown. 

'Ivan! My kefta!' he called. She found the kefta and grabbed it, slipping into his room. He turned to her. 'You're not Ivan,' he said with a playful half-smile. 

'Sorry to disappoint.' 

'Do I sense a little disdain for my Heartrender?' he asked her, still wearing the same playful smile. 'You know, once you get to know him, he's actually quite funny.' 

'I bet you find volcra hilarious,' Alina clapped back, causing him to smile more, but it still wasn't a full smile. 'Where is Adela? Your sister?' 

'Getting her hair and makeup done by Genya,' Aleksander replied. 'She's got a stunning ballgown for this evening. Says she wish she could wear her kefta, but the Queen wouldn't have it.' Alina snorted, letting out a chuckle. 

'May I?' she asked, holding out the kefta. 

'Thank you,' he said, turning to the mirror as she helped him slip on the kefta. He adjusted the collar with a quick snap. 'I hear you were able to focus and split light without the gloves,' he commented. 

'I appreciate the gesture, though.'

'Well, they were only a safeguard, really. In case of nerves,' he replied softly. 'I imagine there are few gatherings in Keramzin that involve such... spectacle.' 

'None, in fact.' She looked very rapidly between his lips and his eyes, then turned and walked out of the room to the map room where he'd been studying models and diagrams of the armies of Ravka and their enemies for God knows how long. 'But I'm actually not that nervous,' she said quickly. 'I may have considered throwing myself down the stairs to get out of it once or twice.' 

'Wouldn't work,' he replied jokingly. 'I have Healers.' She laughed. 

'I was nervous at first,' she admitted. 'But talking to Genya, I've realised what this demonstration represents. I've always felt like an outsider. Especially when I first got here. But now I finally feel like I belong. And not that I just belong here, to something greater. That we can offer Grisha and Ravkans hope for the future.' There was a moment of silence. 

'That means a lot to me, Alina,' Kirigan replied softly. 'You mean a lot... to everyone.' She walked up to him, grabbed his collar, and kissed him. They stayed like that for a few moments before she peeled away. 'Not many people surprise me, Miss Starkov,' he said in a low voice, moving off the bench to stand to his full height, looking down at her. The two were about to kiss again, but then the assistant at the door called out.

'Excuse me, General.'