doyoung [twenty-eight]

Right as you and Minhee emerged from the Hexa Wing—the final hall, washed with purple, and their economic center—into the main foyer, your stomach growled. You were pretty sure that you were wearing too many layers for it to have been audible to the girl with you, but you still stole a glance at her face to look for any indication that you were wrong. Then you realized how foolish you were being—she was an Erethulian.

The portrait of Doyoung's family was tucked into the inside of your outer parka, and you patted that area to double check that it was still there.

A group of people emerging from one of the halls on your left caught your attention, and you couldn't keep your giddy grin under control when you saw Doyoung at the front of them. Oddly, it was from the Di Wing and not the Mono Wing, where you had been told his meetings were, and he had a bag in his hand that you knew he didn't have when the two of you split after breakfast. He met gazes with you, letting you know that he had seen you but couldn't join you right then and there. The prince exchanged a few more words with the man he had been speaking to, both of their faces so neutral that you couldn't tell anything about the tone of the conversation. With a final nod to each other, the man headed towards the large doorway between the Mono and Hexa Wings, only affording you a sharp side eye as he did so. You reminded yourself not to be miffed over it, he was probably just taking in your attire.

Doyoung was left talking to only two people, Chaewon and Chanshik. You'd never been given their official roles in the castle, but you could make an educated guess that they were some sort of advisors to the Royal Family. Finally, he split apart from the older Erethulians, features softening and turning relieved as he focused in on you.

"Hi," you chirped brightly, holding one of your gloved hands out towards him.

He gladly took it in his free hand, pressing a kiss to your knuckles, "Hi."

There was a beat before he turned his attention to Minhee, "You're free to go, Minhee, thank you."

"Of course," she nodded first to Doyoung, then to you. "I'd also like to request any future assignments like this, if Onmyoji doesn't have any objections."

"Of course I don't!" You replied, truly thrilled at this apparent seal of approval from her. "I had a great time with you, I'd love to hang out again."

The very corner of the girl's mouth twitched for a moment, "I'm glad."

"I'll make sure you accompany Y/N when I can't," Doyoung assured her, and you felt his grip on your hand tighten minutely.

"Thank you. I'll see the both of you tomorrow, Onmyoji, Prince."

With that, she too took leave of the castle, leaving you only with your boyfriend now.

"You're just making so many friends here, Y/N," he mused, leading you towards the Tri Wing. "Only been a day and you have Minhee and the kitchen staff in your lovely, friendly, personable clutches."

"The kitchen staff?" You questioned, taking a right at the fork with him.

"When I went in to request that they pack our lunch, they all couldn't stop talking about you. They think you're very cute."

"I'm guessing in the 'oh look at that fluffy puppy it's so cute' kind of way."

"Yes, they're all very charmed by the cute, clumsy, warm human all bundled up."

"Glad I made a good impression. They mentioned me knocking over the jug, didn't they?"

"They were endeared."

"Really? Taekwoon looked like he was going to kill me."

"Erethulians, love, we always kind of look like that."