2 Call Me Victor

"I do appreciate this," I was saying to the eldest of the Harrington children as he led me into the room reserved as his study. Tall, mahogany bookshelves encompassed every inch of available wall space and matched the enormous desk in the center of it all. It was quite the office for the heir of an earl and, if the dust on every shelf and surface was any indication, rarely used at that.

"Of course, Your Grace," Elijah answered with a bow.

"Please, call me Victor. I have imposed upon you and your family much too personally for you to continue with such formalities."

He nodded and smiled before returning to his full height.

"We are honored to host you, Your Gra- Victor," Elijah said, correcting himself before calling me by title once again. I gave him what I hoped was a warm and friendly smile in return.

"You're friends with Benthem," I replied then, walking around the desk, running my fingers along the smooth mahogany, and trying to steer this conversation in a much less formal direction. I hadn't any idea how long I would be staying with the Harrington's yet. I didn't have any intention of them speaking to me like a Duke for the duration of my stay. That would not be pleasant for any of us.

"Since we were children," Elijah answered.

"He speaks very highly of this town and its people. I imagine you to be chief among them since he's chosen your family to reside with while we are in town."

"We were- are the best of friends."

"And Madison?"

"He met her here as well. They've been in love since... well, I don't think anyone can quite recall when it started. It seems as though it's always been. She was friends with my sister. So we were all together quite often."

I nodded, choosing not to ask which sister. From my limited observation, I could already tell which of them was the more likely to have formed lasting friendships.

"I like Benthem," I told him in earnest. "He's become an asset to me at my estate. He has a mind for the running of things that keeps me honest in my dealings with my people. I like to think we are friends as well. I hope, Mr. Harrington, that you can treat me as familiarly as any other man whom Benthem might bring into the fold. Despite my title."

Elijah smiled at that, corners of the mouth turning up slowly as if I'd shared a secret between us.

"Call me Elijah," he said and I chuckled, rounding the desk and holding out a hand.

"Pleased to meet you, Elijah."

He took my hand and shook it.

"You as well, Victor."

When we separated, the man was far more at ease than he had been thus far. His body language was relaxed as he lifted a finger to gesture toward the light blue box atop the desk I could begin to call my own.

"Mother sent chocolates," he told me. "Leftovers from the party. She has them imported every year and thought you might like to have some as a sort of welcoming gift."

I smiled down at the box, flipping open the lid to reveal some very familiar fine Swiss chocolates. It was as if I were back in the garden again, watching the petite auburn haired beauty pluck two from the silver platter, popping one into her mouth and chewing, pink lips moving up and down. I hadn't the faintest idea that she was one of the Harrington siblings in that moment. If I had, I supposed I would have found the entire situation even more humorous. Pilfering chocolates at her own family's party. I wondered absentmindedly if she knew an entire box of them awaited her guest in her brother's study and what she might have done if she had.

"She will ask you why you're here," Elijah said then, drawing me out of my thoughts. I let the lid fall closed and looked up to find him watching me, a curious expression on his face.

"Pardon?"

"My mother. She will ask why you've left Northumberland and journeyed all this way with Benthem."

I nodded. I knew he was right. In fact, I had been waiting for someone to ask me that very question since I first stepped foot in this manor.

"My advice to you is that you craft a sufficient response well ahead of time," Elijah continued and it was my turn to gaze at him with curiosity. "She can practically sniff out a lie, that one. But if you practice you shouldn't have any trouble fooling her. She wouldn't dare question a Duke too strictly, after all."

"But you... aren't asking me?" I questioned, more out of surprise than anything. But Elijah only smiled before turning his back and heading for the door.

"It isn't my business," he told me and then, pausing once he had opened the door to the empty hallway beyond, added, "We are all running from something."