|38.| Human Again-Part One ♤

Aria

The Gods hated me.

That's the only reasonable explanation I have for all the problems I'm incurring. With Marae recovering at home, it's been all hands on deck, especially with The White Palace launch in a few days. I feel as if I'm always on my feet, moving from one space to another without rest or distraction.

Zalea clings to her mother all day, River hasn't been around as much since his sole focus is on Marae, and Ash upped security at home and work. I have to answer for everything, even just a coffee run. I feel like I'm stuck in limbo.

"Aria? For crying out loud Aria!" I look up and find an irritable Oasis staring at me. "Where the heck did you go?" He blinks-waiting for my answer.

"I'm just a little distracted, is all?" I shuffle through all the files on my desk. I barely slept nowadays, albeit with the short naps, which meant I was paranoid. And when I'm paranoid, some things are always wrong.

"Need help?"

"Please." I pleaded. Oasis shakes his head, removing half of the document tower from my desk. For the last few days, I've dismissed my work to be with Marae. Almost losing her created a fear in my mind that was never there before. "What were you saying?"

He frowns, "Nothing important." My brow furrows but I let it go. Oasis and I work silently through all the files before curiosity finally gets the better of me.

I wanted to ask him a long time ago, but it seemed far too subjective. I don't know how to bring it up or whether it's even my place but Oasis needs to get out of his head one of these days. Might as well be now. I sigh at the realization of my hypocrisy, I'm definitely to talk.

Once we find the pile, he hands me the last to double-check and when I'm happy, I toss it with the others, more likely perfectly organizing it into the pile but who's looking? I shouldn't say it but again curiosity gets the better of me, "Thank you...Orioné."

As expected Oasis, or should I say Orioné tensed. When I stumbled across the information, I was confused as to why he had to change his name. I thought perhaps he was still playing us but with time I learned, it was the opposite. "Where did you learn that name?"

"So it's true then, Oasis isn't your real name." A part of me wanted it to be a lie. Because too much of Oasis had been a lie and I just wanted he told me to be true. Again, I'm one to speak. I did nothing to deserve his honesty, though it still hurts.

"No, it isn't. I changed it when I first stumbled upon the Underworld. Hacking and stealing from the most dangerous criminals in the world with my real name didn't seem like a good idea at sixteen." That makes sense. There's more to it, of course, but I won't bother him about it.

"I wanted to tell you, the night I saw you at the ball. I almost told you everything, I was blinded by desire. Rightfully so, I guess it's a good thing I hadn't." I nod and laugh a little. A few months ago we were on each other's kill list. It seems morbid that we are now on the same side.

"Can I call you Orioné then?" I laugh, Orioné rolls his eyes and glares at me.

"Don't push it."

• • •

Meetings. Endless, infuriating meetings. While I cherished the last few days, the normal routines that made an appearance in our lives, this was not one of them. I forgot how easily infuriated you can get when old men try to tell you how to run your company as if you hadn't built it from the ground up.

Or when a woman allows a man's opinion to overlook hers, because he has more experience in this industry. Fuck that, my company, my fucking rules.

The White Palace launch is happening in two days and everyone is angsty. While the preparations are going as per plan, the board isn't particularly happy about the proprietor of this project 'relaxing' at home. She's not. If anything she's overexerting herself trying to make it perfect.

The damn project only took two and a half years.

I wish Rheanna hadn't taken the day off to run off in the sunset with Vincent. Although, with Vincent, there wouldn't be much sun. It's selfish of me I know, but the woman is spectacular at her job. This is why I'm allowing her a three-week vacation after the White Palace has been launched.

She more than deserves it. And though the buzz around the project won't have died down, I'll figure out a way to not turn on the brink of insanity. Preferably with one method, and one man. Why only one? Christ, tell me I didn't just entertain such a thought.

Red taints my cheeks as I picture the visual in my mind. It's vivid, so explicit I can almost feel the goosebumps on my skin. I'm too ashamed to admit who the face of the second man belonged to. He would do it, you know? I shake my head.

There is a possibility that he would, but I definitely won't be asking.

I clench my thighs, ridding myself of this thought when I feel my panties dampen. I can't let anyone see me like this. Boss or not, I'll still be embarrassed at the sight of any employee of mine seeing me like this.

I decided there was only one way to fix this. I feel excitement settling in my stomach over my decision but sigh when I realize how much work I still have, not even including the onsite meeting at the Palace location and a last-minute meeting with the organizers.

Sigh.

Ash has his work cut out for him tonight. I'm most definitely not moving a muscle. Though I think he will be enthralled to know that, he can do anything he wants to me and I would just lay there and take it, 'come una brava puttana' he always says. like a good little whore.

I'm already reaching for my phone, ready to seduce my fiancee into having office phone sex with me. The phone on my desk makes a loud shrill Boise instead and I answer it if only to make it end quicker.

"Miss Middleton? The organizers are on the line, and they requesting a short conference call." I groan. Short? What a joke.

"Put them through." I stare at my phone still in my hand and I all but toss it onto Rhea's usual chair.

Sigh.