|40.|The Grim Reaper-Part Two

Aria

"Today marks the exact day that four years ago, I came up with an idea. An innovative idea, a huge project that could become a technology and digital systems breakthrough." Marae recites, "Four years later, The White Palace has come to life. It wasn't easy, I had rejections. I had to redo my business proposals and pitch for investors once or thrice."

"I've had hair falling out from endless meetings, and plans of sabotage from rival companies. But that's a different story. I want this Palace project to tell a different story, a story of hardship, life, creation, and invention. If I told you how badly I reimbursed this project with my life, you wouldn't believe me."

Guests laugh and toast to Marae's speech, probably believing they relate to what she's saying. Her blood and sweat, quite literally, communed to her work. I roll my eyes and listen to the rest of her speech. River impatiently tugs on the hem of her blazer, hoping to get her attention. Marae gives him a hard look while trying to remember the rest of her address.

"Thank you so much, and enjoy the party." We move over to the red carpet entrance, where reporters and journalists scream out their lungs to get our attention. A pair of arms wrap themselves around my waist, and I give him a little pinch.

"Ouch," Ash fakes harshness, "Was that necessary?"

"Oh, look what the cat dragged in," I mutter quietly while smiling for the cameras, most of which are baffled by the display of affection between both of us, "You're late."

"That's a stupid fucking expression, all cats do is sleep, eat and drink." I groan, and Ash oblivious to my anger proceeds to annoy me vigorously. While I would prefer to stomp my way through this carpet, I elegantly walk off with Ash beside me where a few reporters halt us.

"Miss Middleton, you look stunning who are you wearing?" A reporter asks devious intentions behind her interrogation.

"Miuccia Laumente, Laument. She's actually in attendance tonight if you're interested in understanding more about the piece." I divert her attention elsewhere, but the vicious little thing stops me again.

"Oh, does that have anything to do with Aiden walking the carpet with Iris Laument." Ugh, the fucking vultures. I only respond with a suggestive smile.

"Here's a good idea, ask him?" I smile and change my tone to make seem like it was a friendly suggestion.

Ash sighs, "Forgive my fiancé, she's been awfully laconic these days." I groan and stare at him, expecting him to back me up but instead, he throws me under the bus.

"Fiancé? Was this public knowledge yet? A renowned businesswoman with the most notorious—I mean with the business tycoon Ash Sullivan, what a pair!" She squeals, making sure her cameraman is on us while trying to get more information.

"Yes, we are, no if you'll excuse us. This pair would like to dance." Ash pulls us away from the crowds and into the building, where guests dance in the decorated conference rooms with old classical music playing.

Ash and I make our way through rounds of useless conversation. There is a reason Ash
always dragged me to any event he was forced to attend. Where I thrive
in answering people’s questions and pretending to be interested, he struggles.

Everything about tonight is pure torture. With the endless amount of small
talk and my inability to get drunk at my own launch party, neither of us can’t get
out of here soon enough.