Gravity | 5 | Then

"Into the darkness they go, the wise and the lovely."
- Edna St. Vincent Millay

🦂

Gravity

Then

It's been 7 days since I've met Hunter. My mind kept sliping back to him. He was really attractive, way more attractive than any man I have ever met. Or maybe I just thought that because he was tattooed and had a beard?

I still try to process the fact that we had to get up and leave so fast. I mean he didn't even gave me an explanation instead he went out his way to lie and tell me that he has to work. At 3am. Unless he is a stripper there is no way he has to work at 3am.

Or maybe he wasn't lying and I was just paranoid? I mean people have different working schedules don't they? Or maybe he is a criminal that robs banks and beats elderly people up, but that looked a bit far fetched and kind of discriminating. Just because he is tattooed he isn't instantly a criminal.

I sighed. Sitting across my parents at the table, we were having dinner with my dads associates like we always did yearly. Pushing around the noodles on my plate I fixated on it.

"Gravity?" My moms voice snapped me out of my train of thoughts. I looked up "Haven't you heard what Mister Dalton asked you?" She said with a gentle voice. I shook my head. "No, sorry I was- I got lost in my noodles." I lied, smiling thightly.

Mister Dalton laughed and shook his head dismissing me with only a "Kids these days." I wasn't a child and I hated people saying that. I was 19 year old, soon to be 20. But I was used to my parents babying me, I was their one and only child. Again a deep sigh left my lips.

My mom looked at me like I had just grown a second head, she always knew when something was bothering me. Obviously I wouldn't tell her what was bothering me this time. She didn't need to know, she would absolutely go batshit crazy on me and that was the last thing I need.

I flinched when someone put a drink next to me. A waitress smiled at me. "It's a cocktail." She explained. "Sent from that really handsome man across the room." She spointed at the man with her finger.

My heartbeat fastened, my palms went sweaty. I caught myself hoping it was Hunter. I glanced to where she pointed at and to my disappointment it wasn't him. And he wasn't even as handsome as she said.

I gave the man a tight smile and turned my attention back to my noodles. I frowned. "Thank you." I quickly said, she nodded and left.

"Do you know him?" My mother asked. I shook my head, getting back to pushing my noodles around. I really wasn't hungry.

🦂

After the dinner I waited for my parents outside of the restaurant. They were taking their time with saying 'Thank you' and 'It was great meeting you' and 'Sorry for Gravitys silence tonight' and their 'Goodbyes'.  I wasn't even that silent, I laughed a few times when they all laughed just to look attentive. Pulling my coat closer I sighed.

My parents came out. I immediately realized the unpleasant look on my dads face. He wasn't happy with how I acted tonight. I bit my lip and stept from one foot to the other. "It's really cold tonight isn't it?" I said trying to ease the tension. "Just get in the car, Gravity." Was my dads response. I rolled my eyes, but got in the back of the car anyways.