THIRTY-SIX

"Baby, is everything okay in there? We need to go to soundcheck before we're late," Tae questions from the other side of the shut bathroom door while Lyla hopelessly stares at herself in the mirror

"Uh, I don't think I can go today. Can I just meet you guys at the show later instead?"

"Yeah, of course. Are... are you alright?" His worried tone of voice was evident despite the piece of wood separating the two of them.

"Mhm," she responds as she slumps her shoulders and holds onto the edge of the sink while she moves closer to the mirror, not wanting any of them to see her right now. "I'll see you before the show, okay?"

Furrowing his brow, he opens his mouth to question again if everything was okay but decided against it. It wasn't like her to shut herself away from them. She always seemed to feel comfortable talking to him but for some reason, she seemed more reserved today.

In fact, he hadn't even seen her since he left her asleep in his bed early this morning when he left for a meeting. He let her stay asleep peacefully with her pillow slightly covering her head with only her pouty plump lips and adorable nose peeking out from the cotton-stuffed shield.

He wondered for a moment if he had perhaps done something wrong. Last night was fun and they both came back to the room from their little pool adventure with stars in their eyes leaving soft kisses across their freshly showered skin until they drifted asleep, but the change in the atmosphere had him questioning if there was something he perhaps could have done differently.

Did he happen to offend her in some way?

Considering that maybe he was just overthinking, he nods his head despite her not being able to see him. "I'll be looking for you before showtime."

"I'll be there on time," she reassures him with the sound of the faucet now running.

"I love you..." his words were hesitantly said in hopes that they wouldn't be denied and cause further worry to his mind.

"I love you more."

Her immediate reply eased his spirit a fraction and he took a deep breath, letting a ghost of a smile tug on one side of his heart-shaped lips. Walking out into the hallway, he peers back into the room one last time, telling himself that he shouldn't take it so personally if she just maybe needed some space to herself or something.

With the knowledge that she was now alone, she takes hold of her cellphone and scrolls through her messages looking for the only person outside of her boyfriends that she felt close enough to on this tour. She needs help and she knows she won't be able to do it alone given her lack of resources.

Lyla:
Hey Jin?
You don't need
to be at soundcheck, right?
I could use help
with something.