FORTY-THREE

"You've never bought a real Christmas tree?" Lyla's eyes widen at the news as she looks over at Jungkook while they walk through the rows upon rows of pines and firs in search of the perfect one to bring home

Shaking his head, he shrugs as he stuffs his hands into his pockets as deep as they could go to try to keep warm in the frigid winter air. The mid-day sun did nothing to ease the chill running through his bones and if he could, he would hold Lyla close for extra warmth, but alas, in public, they were only friends and she was Taehyung's girlfriend.

"We're not usually home for Christmas anymore and my aunt always used a fake tree when I was a teen," he states as he walks up to a tree he thought looked good enough. "What about this one?" Scrunching up her face, he chuckles at her obvious disapproval, "Okay... this one?" Skipping across the aisle, he holds his arms out as if he was presenting her the best tree in the world.

Giggling, she covers her mouth with her cream-colored gloved hands before denying him again, "It looks sickly, JK. Charlie Brown wouldn't even want that one."

"Charlie who?" With shoulders sagging in defeat, he steps back over to her to continue their search.

Gasping, her eyes widen in shock once again, "Are you kidding me? You've never watched A Charlie Brown Christmas either?!"

Looking around at the people staring at them due to her elevated voice, he laughs and shushes her, "It's not some kind of sin you know."

"It is to me," she chuckles and locks her arm with his in an attempt to get him to keep walking through the lot.

"Baby," he whispers worriedly as he makes sure no one saw them and removes her grasp, "we can't do that in public remember? Someone could see us."

Watching the groups of people walking by minding their own business, she tilts her head, "No one seems to care that you guys are famous here."

"No one is your friend when you're famous either. Trust no one, baby girl," he softly looks down at her. "I wish it was me that was publicly yours. I'd claim you so proudly."

"It hurts you, doesn't it? That we have to pretend to just be friends when we're not behind closed doors," she ponders as she stares up into his doe-shaped eyes, wishing that she could openly admit to being with each of them.

Nodding, he forces a smile, "But I'll take it as long as I know you honestly love me in private."

"I love you, Jungkook," she smiles brightly, doing her best to ease the mood.

"I love you, too, Lyla," he grins back down at her. "Now, what about this one?" He excitedly jumps over to another fir with his eyebrows raised in hopes that this is one she'll like so that they can at least go somewhere warm.

Pausing longer than before as she looks it over, he hopes that it's a good sign. The whole time he's known her she's been easy-going and spontaneous but it seems as if Christmas trees are her downfall.