Chapter 4: Who is Trouble?

It was unnerving to Zhian, having two unknown alphas following behind. He wished he had attached his sword to his belt instead, but he was hoping the visual of a sword on his back would keep them at bay.

Your wariness is coming from a justified place, Zhian could practically hear his father say, but remember that alphas are not naturally inclined to harm omegas. Keep an open mind but open eyes, Zhian.

Zhian once again forced himself to relax. From what he had witnessed so far, the alphas behind him had done nothing. Done nothing knowingly, that is. Yes, the dark-haired one—Callow—did approach him rather suddenly, but he immediately backed off once he realized he was an omega. Since then, they had been nothing but respectful towards him.

"So will you two be staying here for the summer?" Zhian began, even though he already knew the answer.

"Ah—" the voice Zhian recognized as Evander stumbled a bit at the sudden conversation. "Yes, we are."

"What ranks are you?"

"Etas, the both of us."

Zhian made a considerate hum. "Then I hope you enjoy your time here and learn much from us."

"As do I." Ev paused. "Are you part of the exchange as well?"

"As in, will I be going to the Firstdawn?" Zhian shook his head. "No. I'm needed here."

The rest of the way was silent as they approached the ceremony hall. It was the largest building in the Unclaimed pack, and from inside and through its open windows, they could see and hear people mingling inside. There were a few who walked in and out, mostly caterers and other staff, but none seemed to notice them. If they had, they didn't look twice.

"I don't think there's any way we can sneak in at this point," Cal said hopelessly.

"Not through the main entrance, you can't."

Zhian signaled them to follow him as they made their way to the back of the hall. Every time a person walked past the window or seemed to gaze out, Ev and Cal mentally prepared for the consequences. None ever came, however. Even when a Sigma passed right next to them, they simply nodded at Zhian and continued on their way. But right when the alphas thought they would get away with their disobedience and began to relax, Zhian stopped below a closed window at the back of the building.

"Why did we stop?" Ev asked.

"The Sigma hired for this event have no idea who you are or what to look for. The guards, on the other hand—" Zhian nodded towards the end of the corner. "—will. You want to get in without anyone knowing, yes?"

Ev and Cal nodded.

"That's what I thought."

Without another word or explanation, Zhian jumped and pulled himself up onto the sill, somehow balancing himself on one arm as he pushed the window open. Ev reached out to help him, but by the time he got there, Zhian was already inside.

"All clear," Zhian said, leaning out and motioning them to follow him.

The room was empty except for a few boxes and crates. It was obvious it was a storage room. Zhian waited by the door and listened carefully while the alphas climbed in. Cal shut the window behind them. When Zhian confirmed there was no one around, he opened the door and stepped into the hall, keeping his steps quiet. Hall after hall they entered, sometimes climbing to different floors or doubling back to avoid being seen. It even came to the point where they could hear the mingling coming from the main room, only to hear Zhian curse under his breath and signal to them to go back.

Finally, their exit—or entrance—was within reach, but there was one final obstacle in their way. An Unclaimed Pack member with peppered hair stood guard to prevent people from wandering.

"Stay here," Zhian murmured to them before stepping partially out of the hall they were currently in. Without making more noise than necessary, Zhian hissed, "Beroux!"

The Gamma turned his head in surprise but raised an eyebrow with a small smile when he saw who it was. "Ah, that's a bad sign. You only call me by name instead of my title when you're up to something."

"You and I both know that's not true," Zhian said exasperated. "But I still need you to close your eyes for a few seconds."

"What?"

"Do you want to keep your reputation as an honest man?"

"And people still think your brothers are the real trouble makers." Beroux sighed and closed his eyes. "If anything, you're the prime instigator, you know that? Go on with your business, but I will figure out what you did."

Zhian grinned. "And it'll be our little secret."

Beroux laughed but said nothing more.

With another signal, the alphas and the omega slipped past Beroux. Ev and Cal knew Beroux heard and smelled their unfamiliar scents, but true to what Zhian said, he kept it a secret and said nothing. Once they were off to the side of the ceremony hall where not many lingered, Zhian turned to speak to the alphas.

"That went better than expected if I say so myself. Now here you are, and so far no one noticed. If any of your pack members did notice your absence, that's not my fault."

"You still did a lot, thank you," Cal said. "We really owe you one."

Zhian's eyes glinted with mirth and a bit of mischief. "You certainly do."

Neither of the alphas were able to question the ominous statement as Soleva and the Firstdawn Alpha rose to the elevated platform at the end of the open room.

Oh dear. Vote for Ev and Cal's sanity?