Chapter 13: The Last Straw

Things stayed quiet the next few weeks. No mentions of the Everborn, and no mentions of the plan if everything goes wrong. Enya almost scolded Zhian for keeping his silence and refusing to apologize to Soleva—refusing to go to meetings altogether, in general—but Han quickly stopped her. As unprofessional and, admittingly, childish as it was, Zhian was an adult. It was no longer their place to force Zhian to apologize. It wouldn't have been sincere, anyway.

Zhian, at least, sent in the necessary reports of the Firstdawn's progress to the council every now and again. Some noted improvements while others stated lackings, but all excluded the subtle comments and challenges he received.

Arc and Rion saw them, however. As Phi werewolves were beginning to explore different trades, they spent more time out of the school building and in the town itself. So, the twins found themselves at the arena often and even being taught alongside the Firstdawn as Zhian alternated between the guests and the Phi wanting to become Etas.

It made Arc's blood boil at the near-blatant show of disrespect the Firstdawn gave his older brother. They placed bets on who would win when anyone dueled against his brother. They sneered behind his back when he won. They excused his skill with being "lucky that they were reluctant to hurt him because he was an omega." While Arc desperately wanted to run to Father and the Pack Alpha to fix it, Zhian had sharply commanded he didn't, saying he could handle it. Arc didn't understand Zhian's sudden stubbornness, but he respected Zhian's request.

But who knew this would be the day Zhian snapped.

The twins and other Phi practiced on the side while Zhian ran through sword drills with the Firstdawn. It was intricate and harsh, as he had mixed Southeastern and Southern styles along with their normal routine. Some Firstdawn, however, weren't pleased with the Southern influence.

"Why are we using the same swordwork of the tyrant pack?" Othe, the same Firstdawn Zhian had defeated in a duel, asked sharply. "When did you even learn this?"

"It's only what I remember while there," Zhian replied simply. "Besides, it's an advantage knowing how your enemy fights. If your original instructor was here, she would teach you more."

"You're an Everborn wolf?" another asked in alarm.

Ev and Cal looked up in curiosity at that. Was Zhian really from the South? How did he get so far North?

"I should've known," Othe spat. "You're using underhanded tricks. It's a wonder why the Unclaimed trust you in the first place."

"What does it matter to you?" Arc countered incredulously, unable to keep quiet. "And don't talk shit about my pack!"

Ev agreed, opening his mouth to reprimand Othe, but Zhian spoke before he could. Rion carefully crept up behind Arc, ready to back his twin up.

"I left several years ago and have been an Unclaimed member since then." Zhian then looked at Arc with a disapproving frown. "Focus on what you're doing and stop getting distracted."

"No, Zhian! I'm sick of this!" Arc angrily stuck his training sword in the ground before marching up a few steps, only keeping a few feet between him and Othe. "You know, it's always you who can't seem to keep your mouth shut."

"Arc—" Zhian surged forward, his instincts wailing like alarms as he saw Othe's hands clench at his side.

"Yeah? Tell me more," Othe goaded.

"Why? Can't see for yourself? Maybe if you dug your head out of your ass, you'd actually learn a thing or two." Arc sneered. "Or are you still crying over the fact that our Zeta beat you—"

Several things happened at once in that instant. Othe raised his fist as soon as the duel was mentioned, and Arc, not quite expecting for Othe to actually hit him, flinched back in surprise. Rion lunged forward to grab and drag Arc to safety. Ev shouted for Othe to stand down.

Othe's fist was stopped before it could get anywhere near Arc, however, as Zhian stood between them and wrenched his arm to the side. His shoulder burned as it reached an impossible angle, and he bent down with it to keep his shoulder within its socket, letting out a shout of pain.

And directly in Othe's face, Zhian snarled.

Everyone froze as the guttural sound echoed around the stone walls, even those who stood on the opposite side. It was one thing to face an angered alpha, but an angered omega protecting pups? Othe was wise to finally submit before the Zeta as Zhian stared him down, teeth still bared.

Zhian took a shaky breath in before addressing Arc behind him. "Are you alright?"

"I—I'm fine." Arc gulped as he straightened himself. He had fallen back onto Rion when he jerked him back, and he stared wide-eyed at the scene before him. The twins knew Zhian was protective of them—same as they were of Zhian—but this was something they had never witnessed before.

"Is he lying, Rion?"

"He's not."

"Good. Then get Father and Soleva. Tell them I wish to speak to them urgently."

Ev's blood ran cold at that, and he heard Cal whisper, "Oooh dear." He was unaware Arc and Rion were Zhian's brothers, and that made the situation just that more delicate. Not only was Zhian protecting pups, he was protecting his family's pups. And judging by the pale face of Othe, it was apparent he knew how much more trouble he was in with the omega. Other Unclaimed members ushered out the Phi, as well, and kept a careful eye on the interaction.

"Get back and form a line," Zhian grit out before releasing Othe and casting furious eyes on the rest of the Firstdawn. "All of you!"

None disobeyed.

Oooooooooh shoot they're in trouble. Big big trouble. Big brother Zhian is not happy.

What do you think? Are things gonna be kept civil or will Zhian rip them to shreds? Remember to leave a vote and a comment!