Chapter 9: The Challenge

"What do you think happened?" Cal asked Ev quietly while stretching his arms.

"I don't know, but I doubt we'll ever find out. It's none of our business."

Thirty minutes had passed since the news that their original supervisor had to leave on short notice, and whoever was to take over hadn't shown up yet. Each Firstdawn had already chosen a training sword, and some leaned against the walls of the fortress while they all waited. Ev debated on prompting them to at least do a couple testing swings, but in the end, he decided it was none of his business. Even the two Etas that lead them there had a mini sparring match, though neither of them took it too seriously.

Ev watched the door from the corner of his eye as people entered and exited, waiting to see if anyone he vaguely recognized from yesterday would show up. It made sense for a Gamma or even a Delta to be the temporary replacement. What he wasn't expecting, however, was for a certain black-haired omega to walk through.

Ev almost didn't recognize Zhian and even did a double-take as the Zeta walked towards them. Zhian wore none of the decorum from yesterday or even any armor besides the wide leather belt around his waist. Even with that, he was convinced it was more decorative rather than protective. Only a simple cut undershirt, a faded blue tunic, casual trousers, and well-worn boots. However, Zhian's sword remained firmly strapped to his side. It was clear the omega wasn't intending on going anywhere near the training grounds that day. But what really caught Ev off guard was the fact that Zhian had his hair down, and as he grew closer, Ev could see how the tips of them were damp. Even the sleeves of his shirt, rolled up to his elbows, were wet enough to be near translucent.

Ev didn't realize he was staring until his eyes connected with Zhian's, and the latter gave him a small smile as he passed to meet with the Unclaimed Etas.

"What did you do this time for them to drag you out here on your day off?" one of the Etas said. Although his speech was casual, both Etas stood a little straighter and inclined their heads as a respectful greeting.

Zhian huffed out a laugh. "I'd rather be here than stuck with chores. The twins should be fine doing laundry on their own. Maybe."

The Etas chuckled a bit at that. Zhian then turned to address the Firstdawn who all gathered a little closer in curiosity.

"As you may have already heard, the person initially in charge of your training had an emergency that needed to be attended to immediately. Until tonight when the Gammas decide the next supervisor, I'll be running the evaluations."

A light murmur swept through the crowd, either acknowledgment or doubt. If Zhian heard it, he didn't react. Instead, without facing them, he focused his words on the two Etas behind him.

"Ardin, Tovi, pick two more Etas here to help with this."

The Etas nodded and began to walk away, but they stopped when one of the Firstdawn spoke up.

"What do you mean evaluations?" he asked, an incredulous tone leaking into their words. "Do you doubt our training?"

"Not at all, I simply know nothing about it," Zhian said matter-of-factly, setting a patient gaze on the accuser. "It's only a precaution, and I'm sure the Unclaimed currently in Firstdawn territory is going through the same. Any other questions?"

No one said anything else.

"Alright then. Pair up. I want to see how you fight."

One by one they all demonstrated their skill

One by one they all demonstrated their skill. Some beat the Unclaimed's Etas while others fell. It wasn't all for naught, however, as Zhian was sure to give comments and valid critiques. Even Ev lost his match, and Zhian commented on how to make his stance stronger. No one walked away without nothing. However, there were some still holding resentment, even from those who won as they watched their pack members defeated one by one.

"With all due respect, Zeta," one of the Firstdawns—Ev knew his name was Othe—said while picking up his sword through poorly concealed annoyance, "why aren't you doing any of the evaluations?"

Zhian raised an eyebrow. "One man can't fight all of you."

"But four can. I'm sure you would get more winning results if you add a fifth."

"The purpose isn't to win."

Fed up with Zhian avoiding the challenge, Othe marched up to the omega, ripping off his gauntlet and throwing it to the ground. Silence washed over the arena as all watched Zhian's reaction, even the Lambdas on the other side.

Zhian met Othe's gaze evenly and didn't even flinch at the action. If anything, he looked resigned, but Ev noticed a certain fire in his eyes. Almost as if he was expecting this to happen. But Ev would be lying if he said he wasn't curious about how Zhian fought. The Unclaimed's Etas there were well trained and one a number years older than most of them. If they fought like that, how well did a Zeta only twenty years old fight?

In a smooth motion, Zhian unattached the sword at his belt, trading it for a training sword from one of his Etas. One of the first Etas from before, Tovi, took off his bracers and gave them to Zhian as well. Not as protective as a gauntlet, but by how casually Zhian was taking the challenge, Ev had the feeling he didn't need it. The challenger didn't move a muscle during that time, only watching Zhian prepare himself.

Zhian reached down to pick up the gauntlet from the ground, holding it out for his challenger to take.

"Why didn't you just say you wanted a duel?" he said almost sweetly.

Othe ignored the taunt. "You weren't so keen on it before."

"We keep the duel clean, then." Zhian tested the weight of the sword in his hand. "Only the sword may be used, and no intent to harm. Will that suffice?"

A smug grin formed on Othe's face, finally getting what he wanted. "It will."

We all already know who's gonna win, so the real question is, how quick do you think this fight will be? XD