Chapter 8: Unexpected Changes

Cumulus clouds moved languidly in a bright blue sky as Ev and Cal—along with other Firstdawn Etas—made their way to the training grounds. A couple Unclaimed members led the charge, both with brown hair, but the taller's was darker than the other. There was no set time to arrive, but it was made clear that the expectation was at least a few hours before noon.

Ev frowned at their numbers, nonetheless. If there was one thing that the Firstdawn and the Unclaimed had in common was that their Lambda outnumbered their Eta, both being somewhat reliant on the hunters for food. It made sense that, in exchange, more Lambda were traded. However, Ev knew that the Firstdawn Eta numbers were smaller than they should've been. He would let it slide for the first day as he himself was still quite drowsy, but if this were to continue, he knew he would have to confront those who didn't show up to training. The offer to learn more practical skills from the Unclaimed didn't excuse the fact that they were primarily here to train. This wasn't a holiday.

Cal gave a loud yawn beside him, at least having the decency to cover his mouth.

"Tired already?" Ev teased. "We haven't even started training."

"Shhh..." Cal slowly covered Ev's mouth. "I don't need your sass. That's my job."

Ev only laughed at that. Cal was never a morning person, anyway.

"So, how do you think training will go?" Cal asked.

"I'm...not sure. But I remember that one time one of the Unclaimed's Deltas visited a few years ago. They at least know what we're used to, and since they agreed to do the exchange, I can't imagine it's that much different. Perhaps different survival techniques, but there can only be a limited number of ways to wield a sword, right?"

"Unless they use single-edged swords like the Southwest do."

"Zhian has a broadsword."

"Oh, you're right."

They continued into what almost resembled a small fortress—and it very well could've served as one—and were confronted with a much larger space than they thought. Instead of being made of wood and daub like most of the town, the training grounds were surrounded by stone walls, and a heavy set of doors sat wide open. Judging from the healthy grass around it, it was apparent the doors haven't been moved in a while, but the hinges were in perfect condition and well maintained. If anything were to happen, it was a near guarantee the doors would be ready to serve their function.

While the exterior resembled a simple castle, the interior was a strict reminder of the area's original purpose. To one side was a long line of targets, ranging from well used to newly replaced. Arrows stuck from each target, and some behind them sticking out from wood paneling, as Lambda—who were required to wake up much earlier—were training. It was hard to distinguish who was a Firstdawn and who was an Unclaimed, as all ages and all skill levels were present.

Others claimed the rest of the area, either practicing on scarecrows or sparring with each other. They weren't as densely packed as the archery range, however. Not at that moment. Some entered in and out of what Ev and Cal could only assume was the armory, just past a stone archway and into a dimly lit alcove. Well, dim in comparison to the sun that slowly began creeping over the walls. It was no wonder the Unclaimed recommended to train in the morning and the evenings; down from the mountains, the climate was much warmer.

The Etas leading them took them to the side where there was still some shade. But instead of providing instructions on what they should do, the Etas glanced at each other in confusion in between looking around. Words were said between them, too low for any of them to properly hear, when one of them turned to them, unsure.

"Apologies. It appears the one responsible for your training is running late."

"Is this a common occurrence?" Ev asked after a moment when a few scoffs rang out from the Firstdawn.

"No, not at all. In fact, this is...very unusual." The Eta speaking gave Ev an apologetic look. "I'm sorry. This isn't a very good impression, is it."

"I'm sure there's a good explanation," Cal piped up, trying to keep things optimistic and civil.

That was when another Unclaimed member jogged over, slightly out of breath as if he had been running for a while. A Phi by the look of it with mousy brown hair, puffed and wind tousled. However, he wore the standard over-the-knee boots and basic leather armor, signaling that he was either an Upsilon or a trainee.

"A message from the Alpha," the boy said after clearing his throat and turned to address the Firstdawn. "Gamma Issilo was called away suddenly, and we're currently looking for someone to step in for the day."

A flash of pity washed over the faces of the Unclaimed Etas at the news. It was apparent something tragic must have happened, but Ev wasn't about to pry.

"Message received," the second Eta said, to which the boy nodded and ran off, presumably back to the Pack Alpha. He then looked at the other Eta, who shrugged his shoulders and continued. "While we wait, we can equip you with training swords. And I'm assuming you have a warm-up drill you're used to doing?"

All confirmed either verbally or with a nod.

Wonder who on earth it could be? 😉