Chapter 15: And Mended Bonds

Zhian sidestepped a concerned hand in favor of marching to his brothers. Arc and Rion stood to the side hesitantly as if they weren't sure they were supposed to be there. Looking back on it, Zhian couldn't blame them. The Alpha, Delta, and Zeta were all in the same area after a serious event had just occurred.

What Arc didn't expect, however, was for Zhian's hands to suddenly grasp his face, and he even jerked back in surprise. When he realized why his other brother was doing so, making him turn his head at different angles and poking at his arms, Arc began to complain.

"Zhian, I'm fine. He didn't even—"

Arc's mouth clicked shut as Zhian let out a warning growl. A very clear sign meaning, "Shut up, and let me do what I'm doing." Which Arc allowed and didn't push back. If he didn't like it, he could've easily snapped back as his way of telling Zhian to back off, and he knew his brother would do so albeit reluctantly, but there was no harm in it this time. Zhian was only making sure he was ok. So instead, he leaned forward, bumping his head against Zhian's as a more forceful nudge, letting a chastised whine out from his chest. It was a childish action, but it caught Zhian's attention, and the older naturally responded with a chirp.

The moment was ruined when Soleva and Han approached, confusion and disappointment clear on their faces.

"What happened just now?" Soleva's tone was stern as she continued to scold Zhian. "Zhian, this has gone too far. You cannot take your anger out on—"

"One of them tried to hit Arc, that's what happened," Zhian snapped. At that moment, Han's posture changed from perturbed to alert at the news of one of his youngest potentially getting hurt. However, Zhian chose to round on Arc once again at that moment, sending Arc a fierce glare. "Not that you didn't have a part in it. What were you thinking?!"

Riled up from the whole situation, Arc immediately shot back, "I was calling him out on his bullshit! You're a Zeta, and he still treated you that way!"

"Arctur, do I look like I need defending?"

"Well, it sure didn't look like you were gonna do it yourself!"

"Enough!"

Han stepped forward and pulled his sons away from each other before they could continue shouting at each other. He kept a firm hand on each of their shoulders as he gave them each a stern look. Both boys averted their gaze at that, but the stinging stench of anger still sat heavily in the air.

"Arc, Rion, go home. I'll hear your accounts later, but right now we need to take care of pack business, alright?"

The twins muttered a "yes, sir" before turning to leave, but now without Arc sending one last glare at Zhian who returned it in kind. Han internally sighed at the display, but he knew it would resolve by nightfall. Zhian and Arc's spats were explosive and loud, but they blew over quick enough with minimal damage.

But that wasn't the reason why he was here. When the twins ran up to him, frantically telling him to go to the training grounds, he immediately assumed the worst. He knew something was wrong ever since the boys started developing an odd tension around the topic of training. Every time the subject was mentioned, each boy only gave quick words before changing the topic. There was something Zhian wasn't telling him, and it was now clear he made his twin brothers swear to silence.

Once the twins were out of sight, Han turned back to Zhian. His eyes narrowed at his oldest son's defiant gaze that was directed just below his chin. It wasn't close enough to his eyes to be disrespectful, but it was intense enough to feel a struggle in power. This...wasn't something he expected from Zhian. From Arc, yes. He knew he would eventually encounter challenges as Arc began fighting for his place as Alpha of the House, but he never thought Zhian had the same aspirations.

He would inquire about it with Enya later, but there were more current issues to deal with.

"You need to control your temper," Han began, cutting Zhian off as the other began to speak. "Nothing good comes from anger. This has gone out of hand."

Zhian properly lowered his gaze at that, but not without a low growl. Indeed, Han was going to have to talk with Enya later, but for now, he could ignore Zhian's stubbornness.

"Now that things have calmed down, can you tell us why you sent for us? Arc said it was urgent and that something happened with the Firstdawn."

The story came out in bursts, the beginning riddled with passive-aggressive remarks, but as Zhian calmed, the clearer the problem became. Despite Zhian being a Zeta, a highly trained warrior, there were still those who looked down upon him and grew upset when the omega kept unwavering control over the situation. By the sound of it, Zhian would've been fine if he didn't make a crucial mistake: asking for help. Not in training, but for someone of a higher authority stepping in and telling the problematic Firstdawn to stand down. Besides Zhian being an omega, he was also their peer if not younger than half of them.

"There are just some people who you will never earn their respect," Soleva said carefully. "You're a smart enough man to realize when you need help, so I'm having trouble understanding why you never told us about this."

"I thought I had it under control," Zhian muttered. "If Arc hadn't tried—"

"This would have happened regardless if Arc got involved or not," Han cut in. "Perhaps in a different way, but this wasn't something that would've been resolved by you just toughening it out."

Zhian stayed silent. His eyes drifted to the side in either shame or stubbornness, which Han couldn't quite tell. Soleva glanced at Han, seeing if he had anything else to say before continuing the thought.

"Do you feel like you need to prove something to us to reverse our decision?"

They were met with silence once again, but Han could see the slight shift in Zhian's expression, turning more guilty.

"Perhaps," Zhian admitted.

"Zhian," Soleva stated, her tone near reprimanding, "you at least know why I said that, right?"

"For the pack's survival if anything were to befall you or any of the other leaders."

"Indeed, but do you know why I told you why you couldn't take the oath?"

Zhian tilted his head in confusion. "Because...I'm too young to take the oath?"

"Because someone needs to lead those who remain if we fall."

She waited a beat, letting her words sink in and watched as Zhian's expression went from confused to surprised, his eyes widening and his mouth falling open. Even Han reacted in kind, but it was more subtle than his son.

"My intentions are new, so don't take my words as law, but Zhian, you have proven yourself time and time again and never wavered as a protector of the Unclaimed. You have a sharp mind and are quick to react when necessary." She paused and gave Zhian an assuring look. "I pray to the goddess every day that there won't come a day where you will be forced to claim something you're not ready for. You have many more years ahead of you to learn, after all, and I will guide you for as long as I can. You will not be alone."

And the truth comes out! Who would vote for Zhian becoming the Unclaimed's next Alpha? Vote on the chapter if you would!