Chapter 5: Stand Bold, Stand Tall

"Hello and welcome, dear guests of the Firstdawn. My name is Soleva Darkwood, Alpha of the Unclaimed Pack."

Zhian stood to the side, ignoring Ev and Cal's look as he looked up to Soleva. She wore her full regalia, but not the one for war. Instead, she wore a long, dark blue gown with flowing sleeves that nearly brushed against the floor as she walked. The trim was bronze, and she wore her hair up with iron pins holding it together, a few jewels glistening on the ends. If the Unclaimed had their own royalty, Soleva was their Queen, one that held a sword proudly at her hip. Her grace did not diminish her strength.

"I hope you have been enjoying yourselves thus far—our cooks take pride in our cuisine—and we are fortunate to have an early harvest in time for your arrival. So with sated appetites, I am sure you are eager to rest, but before you go, there are a few things that need to be said, as well as a few introductions."

Only a few whispered amongst themselves as the rest listened, giving their respects to the Alphas on stage. The Firstdawn Alpha had yet to say anything, but his mere presence added a layer of authority. He looked much like his son, with greying blond hair and equally grey eyes. The rest of the party who came along, a couple Gammas and Deltas, stood in front of the platform alongside the Unclaimed's own Beta, Gammas and Deltas. Zhian caught sight of his father at the end, and Han subtly winked in response. Zhian chuckled his breath at that.

"We have a few restrictions in our territory and a few requests," Soleva continued. "Our first request is that you behave as you would in your own territory. Intentional harm, destruction of property, and murder, to name the extremes, will be punished according to our rules. A second request, appear to either your assigned training or participate in our community. There are a few selected businesses that have volunteered to teach skills we have deemed unique for your own and hope you take the opportunities presented.

"Now for the restrictions. Since you will be staying in the dorms provided, we saw no need for you to enter the residential area, thus will ask you not step foot inside the boundaries. This is set to be effective for at least the first two months of your stay before allowing you to enter when invited. However, there is one area you are never to enter, only in the most dire of circumstances that will be ordered by me personally. That will be our sanctuary. As the Unclaimed were founded by rogues, we are a pack who accepts anyone who is willing to submit to our laws and is in need of sanctuary. Beside its residents, only a select few are allowed inside, and all in the sanctuary must agree to give another permission to enter."

Her gaze hardened as she looked across the crowd.

"Anyone who is caught entering the sanctuary without permission will be flogged and casted out with a week's ration."

Zhian heard one of the alphas suck air through his teeth and looked to the side to see Cal grimace.

"That sounds harsh," Cal said when Zhian turned to him.

"Most there are omegas who are hiding from their abusive mate or anyone else who is looking for them," Zhian explained. "They usually stay only temporarily, but some are permanent residents to help those who enter. There's also a separate section for rogues who only wish for a place to stay for a few days before moving on."

"Have you ever been inside it?"

"Pay attention, these are names you're going to need to know."

The alphas listened and didn't say another word as each leader was introduced, both to the audience and to the other pack leaders. The Firstdawn Pack only brought three Gammas and two Deltas along with them. It made sense since they had the bigger territory. They needed more of their people back home. If this were done in reverse and the Unclaimed had gone to the Firstdawn, they would've only brought a few, too.

Once the Firstdawn finished—Zhian already knew the Firstdawn Alpha's name was Gristo having been to the Firstdawn Pack previously when he was younger—Soleva methodically introduced her side of the stage. First came the Gammas, six in total—Beroux stood near the back as he was the tallest—her Beta, and the three Deltas. Zhian saw Soleva lean to the side after giving her group a once over, asking Han something quietly, and Han nodded his head before looking directly at Zhian. Soleva followed his gaze and located Zhian as well, and motioned for him to come forward. Obediently, Zhian made his way to the stage.

"We have one more addition to our ranks, however," Soleva said to Gristo as Zhian took his place next to his father. "I am unaware of how many Firstdawn Zetas are here, but for now the Unclaimed only have one; Zhian."

Zhian bowed in respect when introduced, hoping his nervousness didn't show from being in front of so many people. It was all worth it, however, when he caught a glance at the alphas he had led here previously. Ev, ever composed, only had his brow raised in surprise while Cal finally realized his mistake with a dropped jaw and barely concealed fear. Zhian schooled his features to remain impassive, but he stood a little taller after that.

Gristo, on the other hand, looked openly confused. Zhian stood close enough for the Alpha to catch sight of his neck, and his scent only further confirmed his status as an omega. The silence felt as if it lasted forever, even if it was only a second, and Zhian mentally prepared for the worst.

Oh dear. Let's vote for Zhian as he prepares to face another pack's Alpha.