Chapter 26

Justin

I paced the tiles of my kitchen, fingers clawed into the hair on the back of my head. My phone sat on the counter in front of me and I was just waiting for it to ring any second.

It was after dark when I pulled into my driveway, worn out and exhausted. Ella flung herself at Gianna when Henry walked us up Dimitri's front steps. Both were crying when I slipped back into my truck and made my way home.

I had no idea how Dimitri was going to sweep this under the rug and I really didn't want to know. The less information I had, the better off Ana and I both were.

My phone blared twenty minutes later, Gavin's name across the screen. "Hey man," I said, holding my breath.

"They found her, Justin." I let out a sigh. "They found her in that bastard Nate's house. She's at the hospital. I'm on my way there now."

I moved around, grabbing my keys. "Yeah, I'm right behind you. Hey, did they...did they arrest him?"

There was a pause. "He's dead, Justin." Gavin coughed after an uncomfortable beat. "I'll see you in a little bit okay?"

I nodded although he couldn't see me. "Yeah, see you."

--

Gavin was sitting in a waiting room chair when I made my way to Ana's floor. He was sitting with his hands dangling between his knees, feet tapping against the bright floor. He looked up when I approached, eyes filled with anxiety.

"She's only allowed a few visitors at a time. Her family's in there right now. I've never seen Paul that angry in my life."

I nodded, "How's she doing?"

"She was on a lot of drugs when they found her. The son of a bitch shot himself in the living room and one of the housekeepers called it in. Fuck," Gavin rubbed his temples. "I told her not to get involved with that piece of shit."

I raised an eyebrow. "Involved?"

Gavin scoffed. "Now is not the time for your macho jealous, alright? I don't even know why I called you, I should have just let you find out whenever."

"Listen Gavin-"

"Did you know anything about this, Justin?" He asked. "Look me in the eye and tell me you didn't know."

I kept steady eye contact with Gavin. "I thought it had something to do with Dimitri, but I was wrong." I lied smoothly. "I never would have guessed this."

Gavin nodded. "Alright, well take a seat. I'm not sure how long we'll be waiting here."

--

I looked up from my phone when I heard footsteps tap again the linoleum. Gianna was coming closer, wrapped up in a big sweatshirt, sweats and converse. It was the most casual I'd ever seen her. Her swollen eyes met mine and she quickly walked over.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I couldn't stop thinking about Ana. I needed to see her, apologize. Make sure she's okay."

I nodded, "Her family's in there now. We're not sure when we're going to get to see her."

Gavin awoke with an unattractive snort, eyes shooting open. His glance slid over me and then widened when they landed on Giana. "Um...hey there." He leaned forward. I rolled my eyes.

"Gavin, this is Gianna. Gianna, this is Ana's best friend Gavin." They shook hands.

"So, uh, not to be rude or anything but... who exactly are you?" Gavin asked Gianna.