Chapter 5.

Writing style is changed up a little.

Justin

"I need your help." I barge in on Ana sprawled out with a book in her hand.

"Excuse me?" She sits up. "How did you even get in here?"

"Your back door is always unlocked, it's whatever." I move farther into the room. "Please."

She sighs, rubbing at her bandaged head. "What do you want?"

"It's about my uncle. He's a really secretive person-"

"Yeah, no shit." Ana rolls her eyes. I narrow my own.

"A few weeks ago he found me looking through stuff in the attic. He got really angry and it's been locked ever since. I need to get up there."

"What would you expect me to do?"

"The bastard's always been secretive." I take the liberty to sit down in front of her dresser. "But I don't think he's evil. What do you think?"

Ana chuckles. "You don't want to know what I think." She shoves her arms through a sweatshirt.

"Humor me."

She sighs. "He kept you cooped up in that big house for nine years. He's part of some weird, secret mob and drives a big black van with tinted windows. I mean, really, maybe he's not evil but he's a lot more than secretive."

"Yeah."

"Just imagine how much about you don't know. How much he hides from you. If you had the chance, would you want to know everything?"

I know she's not expecting an answer, so I say, "I'm not crazy."

Ana hesitates. "I never said you were."

"But I know you think I am. For still putting up with it, given everything that's happened. But-"

"He's your uncle, your blood." We're facing each other now, engaged in the longest conversation we've had in months. "I know all about shitty families. Sometimes I still wish that one day I'll pick up the phone and my mom'll be on the other side. I wouldn't hesitate to tell her how much I love her." Ana licks her lips. "It's hard to turn your back on someone who means so much to you."

I stare at her, trying to find the hint of double meaning in her words. But her eyes are indifferent. "I need to do something. Please help me."

"What do you need me to do?"

I sigh. "I'm not sure yet."

*

Richard is in the kitchen cutting up vegetables when I walk in that evening. He doesn't even turn around. "Hello, Justin."

"Hi," I say. "How was your day?"

"Uneventful." He sighs. "Quiet. I take it yours was good?"

"Yes."

"Where have you been?"

I try to swallow but my throat is too dry. "Next door."

The hands that were carefully and precisely cutting a carrot freeze and I can see the tense shoulders from here.

"Oh?"

"Yeah."

"You love hurting yourself, don't you? You haven't learned anything in the last year. You haven't learned who to trust. Who really cares about your well-being."

My fists clench involuntarily at my sides. "Ana hit her head and she's there alone. It has nothing to do with any of that. But don't speak to me about caring about my well-being."