Chapter 12

WARNING FOR MENTIONS OF ABUSE

Justin

I never asked to be born. I never asked for my parents to have me at such a young age. I never asked for my dad to abandon us. I sure as hell didn't ask for my mom to abandon me either. But it seemed like the universe liked putting me through things that I had no control over.

Seventeen hours. I'd been sitting in the same plastic hospital chair for seventeen hours waiting for someone to tell me some kind of news. I'd barely eaten, only chugging down cup after cup of coffee to keep myself awake.

There was no possible way that my life was real. I was just an empty shell in the body of an eighteen year old. It didn't feel real. I couldn't be real.

Shitty things like this just don't keep happening to real people.

"Your Uncle's been treating his heart condition for months," The doctor had told me. "I'm just shocked he's never told you."

There hadn't been any trace of medication in his system. The heart attack was caused by stress and negligence. He was in surgery and they were trying their best, but there was no telling if he would survive this.

I rubbed at my tired eyes, leaning my head against the wall. Haven't I lost enough? Haven't I been through it all? God keeps letting all this stuff happen around me so when is it my turn? When am I just going to finally disappear?

"Justin?" A nurse tapped my lightly on the shoulder. "Sweetheart, why don't you head home? I promise, we'll call you if anything changes. But the way things are looking now, he'll probably be out for a few more hours. Go get some rest."

I shook my head. "I can't go back to that house." I mumbled. "Not alone."

"Is there anyone you can call?"

I shook my head again. "Well, yeah but I can't call at...3:30 in the morning."

She frowned. "Okay sweetie, the cafeteria opens in two hours. Let me know if you need anything."

I managed a small smile. "Thank you."

--

At five thirty on the dot, I went down to the cafeteria. I nibbled my way through half of a blueberry muffin, barely even tasting it before going back to my spot in the waiting area. I nodded off for a bit and when I woke up again at nine, nothing's changed. I used one of the payphones to dial the number I know by heart.

Ana picked up on the second ring. "Hello?"

"Hey," I shut my eyes and leaned my head against the wall next to the phone.

"Justin? Hi, where are you calling from?"

"You-you didn't hear the ambulance last night?"

"No, everyone was in bed after you left. What's going on? What happened?"

"Richard had a heart attack last night. He's in surgery right now but they don't know what's going to happen." I chuckle half-heartedly. "He's been sick. Yet another thing he's hidden from me."

"Oh Justin, I'm so sorry. Do you need me to come down there?"

"No, no. But I do need you to do something else."

"Anything."

"The spare key to my house is on my back patio underneath the chair cushion. I need you to go up into my room and grab the attic key from my dresser drawer. There are two more journals in the box by the window. Do you think you could go and look through them? There's something I need to find out. I'll be home in a few hours."