Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Avril’s POV

I’m scared.

I don’t know where I am, or what’s even going on. All I can see is darkness; it feels like I’m in a dark tunnel but, unlike the movies, there is no bright, white light at the end. Just black darkness, swirling around me and making me feel nauseous and numb. I can’t hear anything, it feels like my ears popped and everything I might be able to hear is muted. My limbs are unusable, as though they’ve been amputated.

The only part of my body that seems to still be functioning is my brain. All my thoughts are jumbled and repeating themselves over and over, but one thought that reappears every second stands out to me.

You’re dying Avril.

Blaise’s POV

She’d been asleep for 30 days – one month.

I was beginning to lose hope as I sat by her hospital bed, holding her small, cold hand in mine and praying that she would wake up. Her eyelids stayed covering her beautiful hazel eyes, and deep inside I wished that I could see them, because nothing but her…her eyes…nothing but them can calm me down like anything else. Avril’s blonde hair that always shined and shimmered in the light, was now washed out and dull under the harsh hospital lighting.

I lifted a hand and placed it gently on her cheek while raking my eyes over her appearance again. Avril looked so peaceful, just lying there as if she were sleeping. Of course, I knew that she wasn’t ‘just sleeping’. If it was just sleeping, she would have woken up by now.

No, Avril wasn’t sleeping. She was in a coma.

As my fingers gently brushed over her brow bone and down her cheek, I heard the door creak open and close quietly after the person who had entered. I didn’t dare take my eyes off of Avril’s face, because I was fairly certain who had entered. I could guess who it was so easily because every day since the past week, the doctor had come in to ask if I wanted to take Avril off of…off of Life-Support.

“Mister Janx, are you ready to…let go?” The doctor asked me, obviously scared of how I would react.

Without turning to look at him, I answered. “No.” I said, hoping that one word conveyed how stupid I thought he was. I was not ready to let go of Avril…I never would be.

“Mister Janx, I understand that you believe she can wake up but…it’s been thirty da-“

“What part of ‘no’ do you not understand?” I almost shouted, finally turning to look at him. Before I continued speaking I saw the doctor’s Adam’s apple bob as he gulped in fear. Good. “I know that she’s going to wake up. She’s a fighter.” I whispered the last part, glancing back at Avril. I silently prayed that I was right, that she was a fighter and that she was going to wake up.

Without another word, the doctor left the room quickly, once again leaving me alone with my sleeping beauty.

For the next few days, the doctor had decided that I, in fact, was not going to change my mind. Many times, if he or a nurse even tried to come in the room to ask me some stupid question, I would clench my fists and mutter threats at them until they left. But lately, I had been feeling drained and my cool, bad-boy façade was fading fast. I just wanted Avril awake and safe with me. It was embarrassing how dependent I was on her waking up, but I couldn’t help it. She needed to wake up, to reassure me that I hadn’t just ruined the one good thing in my life other than my family. I needed the assurance that she was okay, even if when she woke up, she didn’t remember me or she just hated me for getting her into this mess.