1:The Party

"Come on, Mariposa!" my little sister yelled as she ran ahead of me.

"Slow down, Rosa!" I yelled, hobbling on my crunches along the path behind her. "I can only move so fast!" She's getting faster every day.

"Come on!" Rosa jumped up and down. "We're going to miss Pepa's gift!"

"We're not that late." I rolled my eyes. She was always so excited to see Julieta, Pepa, and Bruno Madrigal despite being two years younger than the triplets.

I couldn't blame her. Bruno was my best friend - despite being two years younger than me - and he was always happy to show off the rat he'd caught and secretly tamed to Rosa. He'd even let her name it Peanut. His sisters weren't the biggest fans of rats.

We soon arrived at the Madrigal house with the rest of the party goers. As soon as we arrived the tiles of the Casita were shifting and moving me toward my friends.

I waved at Bruno in his nice clothes as Casita finally stopped.

He smiled back but looked nervous. He'd be the last to receive his gift since he was the last born.

"Welcome, everyone," Madrigal said with a smile. "Five years ago, we were given a miracle. Today, we pass the miracle onto the next generation of Madrigals. First, Julieta."

Julieta smiled as she touched the candle. She then touched the door in front of her. The glittering gold condensed onto the door. It became the image of a woman mixing something in a mortar and pestle with herbs and spices around her.

"Can I heal things?" Julieta asked her mother with a smile.

Alma smiled as Casita shifted the door and corresponding room away. "Pepa, next."

Pepa walked to the candle and then the door. Her door became the image of a woman with a smile and sunshine behind her. A rainbow appeared over Pepa's head as she smiled. "Cool!"

Alma appeared to wonder about this power for only a second before Casita placed her door and pulled up the final unmarked glowing door. "And finally, Bruno."

Bruno took a deep breath and walked to his mom. He touched the candle and nervously touched his door. The door drew out a scraggly looking man with an hourglass motif. Bruno pushed the door open, and his room appeared to be full of sand. He quickly closed the door and Casita placed it. He turned around and looked at everyone in confusion for a second before shrugging.

Alma looked all the more confused by this gift for a moment but composed herself. "Wonderful! We'll have food out on the patio!"

Bruno rushed to me and Rosa. "Hi, Mariposa!"

"Happy birthday, Bruno!" I said, hugging my best friend. "I brought you something for your room." I pulled a stuffed rat toy from my pocket. "I made it myself."

"Thank you!" Bruno took it and looked around. After making sure no one was looking he slid it into the hood of his runna. "A friend," he whispered to Rosa, "for Peanut." Peanut's nose snuck out of his hood as he said the rat's name.

I chuckled. "Let's get some food."

A/N

Thank you all for reading! Be sure to follow to get updated on the progress of this book! We're just getting started.

Obviously the story is in American English so all Spanish that isn't a name is going to be italicized.

This book was requested by lyllypinkranger. OC and story is mine. Unless otherwise marked, I drew the art.

~Author-sama