6: Good Enough

"It's already decided, Mama," Bruno said, trying his hardest to muster confidence from his anxiety. "I-I-I already proposed."

Alma's eyes went wide. "No."

"What?" Bruno asked.

Alma brought her fist down on the table. "You will not marry her."

"I love you, Mama, but you can't stop me," Bruno said. He turned to his sister. "If you want, Pepa, we won't announce our engagement until after your wedding."

"I won't allow you to marry that woman!" Alma shouted, standing.

I jumped up to meet her gaze, leaning on the table. "What is your problem with me?!"

"You're not good enough!" Alma yelled at me and suddenly covered her mouth. "I..."

"Mama!" Bruno exclaimed in surprise as his sisters gasped.

I looked away from Alma. "You're right," I said slowly. "I'm not. I'm not ever going to be enough for you, Alma, because I'm not señorita perfecta. I'm just some seamstress with one foot from the Encanto. No one is good enough for the Madrigals on our own. Not for you! Not unless you say so." I met her eyes. "But isn't it Bruno who has to decide if I'm good enough for him?" We both looked at Bruno between us.

Bruno was staring at his hands as his eyes glowed green. He gasped suddenly and nearly fell over as he dropped his head into his hands, sobbing.

"Bruno!" I set my hands lightly on his shoulder as I sat down.

"I'm sorry..." His hand grabbed mine as he used the other to wipe his face with his jarango.

"Don't you ever be sorry, Bruno," I said softly. "You have nothing to be sorry about."

He looked at me sadly before looking down. He squeezed my hand as he knocked on the table. "Kn- kn- knock on wood," he whispered to himself.

Alma looked resigned as she dabbed her mouth. "I'm done. It was very nice Julieta. Congratulations, Pepa." She took her plate to the counter and disappeared down the hall without acknowledging us.

We heard the door close before Pepa turned on me. "Why do you have to rock the boat?!"

"Me?" I asked. "Pepa, it's your mom who is causing tention!"

"Please leave," Julieta said quietly.

I sighed. "I'm sorry about my temper. I suppose Alma and I butt heads because we're too much alike. Thank you for the amazing food, Julieta. Congratulations on the engagement, Pepa." I gathered my crutches from the floor and stood.

"Too alike is right," Pepa said quietly as thunder rolled from her anger towards me.

Bruno stood with me and grabbed both of our plates. "We'll go, Pepa."

"Bruno," Pepa said, "you don't ha-"

"No," Bruno interupted. "I-If you want my fiancee t-t-to leave the house, I go too. We're a team."

Pepa appeared conflicted. She'd liked me when we were young and I could only wonder when her mother's distain for me had seeped into her mind. And how far it actually went.

Bruno put our plates away and we left.

~~~

I sat on the edge of the bed in my half slip and a pair of Bruno's boxers as Bruno unbuttoned his shirt. "I'm sorry about today, Bruno."

"I-I-Its okay, Mariposa," he studdered out. "It went the way I e-expected. Now it's-it's done with and they know." He dropped his shirt and pants into the wash basket with my dress and joined me on the bed.

"I'm sure it did," I sighed, leaning against his shoulder. "I'm still sorry I pissed off your mom."

Bruno chuckled. "I-I'm sorry I didn't warn you first, mi cielo. I should have told you to prepare you."

"Bruno," I smiled at him. "I don't want you to use your gift on me. I don't want to know what's coming. Being surprised is half the fun."

"I love you, mi cielo. You're my everything." Bruno smiled and kissed me gently. He whispered, "You are too good for me."

I cupped his face with a smile and kissed him again.

A/N

A/N

Ages: Mariposa - 23

Bruno - 20

Rosa - 18

~Author-sama