13: Dinner

"Anything new with you Bruno?" Alma asked as she did every night.

"Oh, not really," Bruno shrugged. "I took over deliveries for Rosa while she is pregnant but that's it really."

"How about you, Mariposa?" Alma asked with a polite smile.

"Actually," I smiled, "yes. Bruno and I have decided to try again to have a baby."

"Oh that's wonderful!" Julieta smiled.

"You're going to love having a little one," Pepa said.

"I'm pregnant again," I said with a smile.

Bruno's jaw dropped as he turned to me. He smiled wildly as he whispered, "Mi cielo..."

Alma's polite smile dropped. "We'll prepare you a room in the Casita. We don't want a repeat of last time."

The air around us filled with static tention. The mention of my miscarriage always brought about the same tention and Alma was normally very conscious of avoiding the topic.

"If you want, I mean," Alma corrected herself.

I grabbed Bruno's hand. "I think it's for the best if we stay in Casita this time. I would like to give myself the best chance this time and that means I should have more of Julieta's wonderful cooking. If Julieta doesn't mind cooking for extra people, that is. I know with your own baby nearly here, you have your hands full and will still once they arrive."

"I would be happy to have you here, Mariposa," Julieta smiled.

"We'll need a room with a bit less sand," Bruno said.

"Casita will take care of it," Alma smiled.

~~~

"Dessert is-" Julieta cut herself off with a yelp of pain.

"Julieta!" her husband yelled as he jumped up.

"It's time," Julieta said.

Pepa began freaking out. "What do we do?!" Clouds gathered about the room.

"Calm down, Pepa," Alma said.

"Félix, take Pepa somewhere to calm down," I said, picking up my crutches. "Bruno, Agustín, get Julieta to the her room-."

"No," Julieta interupted. "My room is not set up for that."

"Get Julieta to the kitchen," I said, "and get us plenty of towels and a pillow."

"Do you know what you're doing?" Alma questioned.

I stood up. "I assisted my mother when I was younger, Alma, and there's not a ton of options."

Alma's jaw clenched but she gave a quick nod.

"Don't worry, Julieta," I smiled. "We'll take care of you like you'd do for us."

Julieta let Bruno and Agustín help her. "I trust you, Mariposa."

~~~

I smiled as I passed the screaming new born swaddled in towels to her mother. "She's perfectly healthy."

"She beautiful," Julieta smiled.

"Our little Isabella," Agustín said, putting his arm around his tired wife.

Bruno put an arm around my shoulder. "You're amazing, mi cielo."

I smiled. "She did all the work." I took Bruno's hand and we left the two alone. Bruno yawned and I looked at the clock. Four hours of labor wasn't terrible. Pepa had been in labor for nine hours. "I think it's bed time."

A/N

Ages: Mariposa - 31

Bruno - 28