XII

TW // GORE + SUICIDE (reference)

・❥・

The sun was making it's making way to setting, and time was running out. If no one could find their position and mark where these random abrupt attacks were coming from, sooner or later everyone would be dead or injured.
The main source of light was receding slowly but surely, and the others sources wouldn't be useful if the people on the field weren't in action.

The longer that this war went, the more corpses that were found. Whether it be a gunshot, a ranged grenade/bomb attack, or even committing suicide from the stressful thought of nearing death, it seemed like the toll was growing by the minute.
To think that it was their job to announce to others how many people died made them even more anxious than they were beforehand.

There must have been some reverse miracle, because once thinking the death of random people couldn't rise any more, a shitload of distant explosions happened not to far behind them. This was like a game for these terrorists.
First long-range attacks with bombs, next mid-range by gunshots, and what probably is close range, attacks with explosives. Then it hit them with what was really going on here.

The enemy always knew there every move, and was placing traps in time order and usefulness. The bloodshed was getting closer, making the remaining people realize that watching their step was the biggest part of surviving and getting back home alive and well.
All of this before someone decided to freak out at the sight of someone's brains being blown out, who also ended up getting shot in the chest multiple times.

Not only did they have to watch their step, they had to keep quiet.

----

'Where are we going?' They whispered.

'You'll see.' She dragged them even more.

The sun had already set. Leaving the night shift guards roaming every nook and cranny of the castle until swapped out with those who had the morning shift.
This was one of those occasional moments where Maki would come out of her shell and take things into her own hands with Y/n. When going to check on her, she was already awaiting for their arrival, next thing they knew their hands were connected and making there way out the back end of the castle.

'Maki, this is kinda reckless. There's a bunch of guards out in the halls. And thats coming from me...' Y/n reminded her.

She faced them with a finger on her lips, and stopped at a corner.

'I'm always putting my trust you, it's your turn to do the same Y/n.' She whispered.

Taking a short peek around the corner, she ensured that no one was coming before once again taking off.
Shortly after avoiding more guards, the duo arrived at their destination.