Ch. 2 The New Girlfriend

You adjusted your short leather skirt, pulling it down slightly before doing the same with your top, pulling it down just a little more to expose more skin that you had dusted with a faint sheen of glitter. You balanced on the sidewalk, taking care not to let your heels get caught in the broken concrete. 

Tonight wasn't going at all how you thought it would. You just needed a couple minutes of peace and quiet to get your head on straight. That would make everything better. If you could get even five minutes away from the noise of the city at night, you could really think about what you were doing and decide on a plan. 

The alley behind that obnoxious karaoke bar seemed as good a place as any. Was someone seriously singing Britney Spears right now? So lame.

You leaned against the dumpster behind the bar and, despite yourself, you started to hum along when something behind you moved and you jumped as far away from the dumpster as humanly possible.

"Oh fuck, what the hell?" You jumped away, your heels flying straight out from under you as you fell flat on your butt on the ground.

Hawks stepped out from where he'd been standing in the alley and saw you just a few feet away, a look of alarm on your face now that you knew you weren't alone.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," he said. Quickly Hawks realized that from the way you'd fallen, he could see more of your legs than you probably intended, and if he stared too long, he was also going to see more of the little pink panties you had on, and shit. 

Hawks turned around to give you privacy as you got up. You legs did look good though, he had to admit. 

"I didn't mean to scare you," he said again over his shoulder.

"Well, you did anyway."

"I'm sorry, truly. Are you okay?"

"Yeah," you said, standing up and brushing off your clothes. "I saw the wings and thought it was some kind of scary red dinosaur or something coming out of the dumpster."

"What?" Hawks chuckled and turned around, surprised by the look on your face. You were younger than him, he was sure, probably early twenties, and cute. Really cute. He hadn't noticed it at first, but the look on your face told him that you were serious. "You do know dinosaurs are extinct, right?"

"There are people whose quirks make them shaped like literal spray bottles in this world, so dinosaurs being around isn't a far stretch, thank you very much."

"I get what you're saying," Hawks said, "but they are literally extinct. Like, dead. Dead-dead."

"Have you ever seen one?"

"What? Have I... are you asking if I've ever seen a dinosaur?"

"Yeah," you nodded, "have you?"

"No, because - "

"Then you don't know, for sure, do you?"

"Hold up. You think dinosaurs still exist?"

"I'm not the one making claims about them in the first place."

"It's not a claim that they're extinct. Google it or whatever. It's a fact."

"Maybe that's what big Google wants you to believe."

Well, shit. You're cute but you're also insane, he realized. He's in an alley with a crazy person.

Hawks thought about how he should probably just fly away and leave you to whatever the fuck it was you were doing, but something kept him there. Curiosity, maybe, or maybe it was just a chance to think about something other than the pity party he'd been throwing for himself all night.