Ch. 5 The Dinner Party

Hawks was on his fourth outfit change.

No matter how hard he tried, none of the clothes he grabbed from his closet gave off the I'm-just-casually-hanging-out-and-certainly-not-in-love-with-you-anymore vibes he was going for tonight.

He wanted to look good at the dinner party, but not, like, too-good, but like, just good enough.

The very last thing he wanted was for the new Mrs. Bakugo to think he was trying too hard.

Congratulations, he was going to say to her when he saw her. I'm so happy for you. Would he hug her? No, that would be too much. Or would it? Maybe a pat on the back. A handshake? No, no one shakes hands, that's weird. Too formal. And if he did shake hands, would he have to look at her ring? He didn't think he could handle that. 

Okay, so no hugging or hand shaking. He would just play it cool and ask about the trip. I hope the beach resort was beautiful and relaxing., he could say. Isn't the ocean huge? he'd ask. Especially compared to how small your bikini probably was -

Wait, no.

Fuck.

Having exhausted all possible options for tonight, Hawks was about to throw on a hoodie and call it a day when the doorbell rang.

Great, he groaned. Demon girl was here.

You were so irritating, he thought as he went to open the door. Irritating in the way you'd charmed his friends and annoying with the way you teased him and aggravating and -

He opened the door and froze.

And hot.

"I clean up nice, huh?" you said, walking in without waiting for him to greet you, which was good since he was too stunned at the sight of you in that dress to say anything at all.

"Nice" was an understatement. When he met you last night outside the bar, you were hardly wearing anything, still looking cute as hell, but now.... Well, now you looked like the epitome of casual chic. Somehow you'd managed to pull off the effortlessly cool vibe he'd been going for and failing miserably at all night.

"Cute apartment," you said as you looked around. The tiny studio apartment surprised you. For someone with money like him, you were more than a little shocked that he was living so simply. It was a short walk to his bed, and you sat down, making yourself comfortable.

Hawks still hadn't moved from the doorway, his mouth open, speechless at the sight of you. You sitting on his bed.

"Two hours the other night, and then, what, maybe three hours tonight?" you asked as you spread your hands on his comforter, feeling the softness of the blanket. "Does that sound about right?"

"Huh? What are you talking about?"

"Your bill. I'm adding up the hours so I know how much to invoice you."

"Invoice?"

"Yeah, invoice. Welcome to the future where even sex workers know how to use excel."

"I wasn't implying that you didn't, I swear," Hawks stumbled over his own words. "I mean, hell, I hardly know how to use excel."

"Wow. Hero programs seem to be skimping on the academics apparently. I don't think they would have let me graduate college if I didn't know basic computer programs."

Hawks did a double take. "You went to college?" he asked, not even hiding his shock.

"Yeah." You rolled your eyes. "You assumed I didn't? You know what they say about assumptions, Keigo."