Ch. 8 Getting Back Into the Game

When you felt like you were a safe distance away from the complete and total embarrassment of the convenience store, you stopped running. Leaning over, hands on your knees to catch your breath, cursing Hitoshi yet again for causing all of this, you noticed the winged hero next to you had a face just as flushed as yours.

You knew you were probably out of shape, but him? You'd seen how ripped he was when he'd changed last night, so why was this hero's face so red after a little run down the street?

For his part, it was taking every ounce of willpower Keigo possessed to avoid staring at the way your shirt hung slightly open when you leaned over, giving him an almost perfect view of the most perfect tits he had ever seen.

Apparently they were so perfect he had even dreamed about them last night, one of those super vivid dreams that he could have sworn was real.

Keigo swallowed, trying to think of anything other than the way your chest heaved with each breath or the way you were bent over or god, anything else.

"I really needed that Powerade," he mumbled.

"Seriously?" You'd caught your breath, finally able to breath like a normal person. Standing up straight, you shrugged off the earlier embarrassment and tried to put it out of your mind. "I'll get you another one if it was that big of a deal."

"Nah, it's fine. This hangover is my own fault. I have to get back to work anyway. You live around here? Want a ride home?" he asked, spreading out his wings.

"You already know I don't," you said, shaking your head.

"Why would I know that?"

"Because I told you last night that being up high makes me sick."

Hawks wrinkled his nose. "When did you tell me that?"

"In the cab...?"

When he'd leaned against you the whole ride home, when he'd let his head droop onto your shoulder, blonde hair brushing against your cheek.

He stared at you blankly. "What cab?"

"Oh shit." Suddenly you realized what was going on here. "Before you woke up this morning, what was the last thing you remember?"

"Honestly?" Keigo scratched his face, trying to remember. "I was sitting next to you at dinner and you told everyone that our first date was to a farm because you said I wanted to see the chickens and 'get back to my roots' or some shit - "

"Yeah, okay, whatever," you interrupted him, "and then?"

"The rest of dinner is a little fuzzy, and after that I was pretty much gone."

Keigo shifted awkwardly, shoving his hands in his pockets. There was no way he could tell you that he'd dreamed of you, topless in bed with him, bare chests pressed against each other. That he had woken up in the morning thinking he could still smell your hair. That he'd been disappointed when he realized it was all a dream and the bed beside him was cold and empty.

"We shared a cab?" he asked.

"Yeah," you said slowly, trying to gauge his reaction without giving away too much.

"Well, since I don't know how far you are from me, I hope I paid for your part of the trip. Thanks for babysitting me," he said, clapping you on the shoulder. 

Like a buddy, you realized. Like a bro. A pal. Not at all like the girl he had held against him while he slept last night. 

"I'm sure you were glad to get rid of me after all that. How much do I owe you?" he asked.