Chapter 3

(Markus)

I sighed as I waited for my sister to get out of her class, and soon after 15 minutes or so here she came, the one and only, Shara.

"Hey! Markus." Shara sang as she hopped in.

I silently stared up the car and began to drive. "So, how was class today?" I asked her.

Shara's head quickly moved as she looked at me. "Um.. it was.. fine." She said, seeming confused. "How was yours?" She asked back.

I sighed softly, tapping the wheel with my thumb. "It was... surprisingly, okay." I thought a moment before I said something. "I met a new person." I mentioned softly.

I could hear the small gasp from my sister. "Oh that's awesome! Are they a guy, a girl, someone who might be the one-"

"He's a guy by the name of Jayden, and now not "the one". I won't find that here, at a college unless I try really hard to." I said cutting her of.

"Well, I'm happy you are making friends, it is a really good step forward brother." Shara said encouragingly. "Who knows, maybe soon you'll be getting back to your old self after all these years." She stated.

Shara's words made my skin crawl. 'My old self' was a lie in so many more ways than one, but my family only saw what they wanted to see. I am trying so hard to be my real self, but I don't think I can.

________________________________

(Jayden)

"Dinner!" Skyler yelled from down stairs, as I got out of the shower.

"I just showered so give me a bit!" I yelled back walking into my room.

"Ten-Four!" She yelled back.

I sighed, grabbed my red sweatpants, and black sweatshirt, pulling them on. I then grabbed my phone to check the time.

"7:18pm, in about 20 minutes I'll look." I mumbled to myself head down stairs.

"On today's menu we have Chicken Alfredo, and rolls." Skyler announced. "So don't be picky." She said to me,

"Yeah, Yeah." I mumbled grabbing a paper bowl and getting some of the hot chicken alfredo and sitting down.

Skyler was an amazing cook which is probably why she was going to culinary school, and I can't wait to see what dishes she learns next.

"So," She said, breaking the minute long silence. "Who's the new friend of yours?" She asked curiously.

I sighed. "I wouldn't say we're "friends"" I explained. "Our conversation was a bit awkward, but I expected it to be, seeing as I'm the one who sparked the conversation." I said I heard Skyler drop her fork.

"You did what?" Sky asked, her eyebrow furrowing in clear confusion as she looked at me.

"I sparked the conversation, as in I spoke to him first." I explained watching her shake her head.

"No, no, I know what you meant! I'm just completely shocked that YOU, of all people, spoke first to someone you didn't know." Sky explained. "Like with your social anxiety, that's fucking rare man." She explained and I sighed.

"Just because I don't do it often doesn't mean I can't." I said crossing my arms feeling a little offended that she thought it was impossible.

Sky immediately shook her head, putting her arms in an x position. "No, no, I'm not trying to be rude! I'm not saying you can't do that! I'm just not used to you doing it!" She explained frantically. "It just usually takes you a bit to even get the courage to say something to new people. What was it about this guy that made you interested?" She asked curiously.

I opened my mouth to respond then quickly closed it thinking the situation over a few times before a shrug coming to no conclusion.

"I honestly don't know." I mumbled. "Something about him just stuck out to me." I explained staring down at my food.

I sat there thinking about it a few times. 'What about him stood out to me?' I asked myself over and over. I then sighed and dropped it, taking out my phone and checking Instagram.

Sky sighed heavily. "For a moment there I was hoping you having the confidence to make a new friend, was maybe, just maybe a reason you would stop checking for a response from that bitch of a friend who has ghosted you for 6 fucking years." She growled with anger.

"How many times do I have to tell you that Mars, more than likely, still doesn't have a phone." I growled back.

Sky sighed. "At least tell me you are going to try to be friends with this guy you met." She said quietly.

"Yeah, I'll definitely try, I mean he is the first person I talked to on my own accord, so I think I should be friends with him to figure out why I did that." I explained

Sky nodded. "Hopefully you like him more than that online ass." She said, making me roll my eyes.